2 Problems regarding Gauss's Law

In summary, the first problem is that electric fields are not the same when the charge is spread out on a long, straight rod. The second problem is that you need to find the field for a rod moving in a sphere.
echau
Hey everyone, I have two problems that deal with Gauss's law. The first one deals with Electric Fields.

Charge is distributed on a long, straight rod with uniform density 6.5 x 10^-8 C/m. Compare the magnitude of the field 1 cm from the rod to the field 1 cm from a point charge q = 6.5 x 10^-8.

The answer in the back of the book is: E(rod)/E(point)=.02=2%

I was thinking that the Electric fields would be the same since the charge is the same, but then I realized that the charge is spread out on the rod. How would I find the Field for the rod to solve the problem? I'm assuming that for the point charge it's just kq/r^2 = [(8.99 x 10^9)(6.5 x 10^-8)]/(.01^2).

The second problem is regarding motion.

Consider a solid sphere of radius R with a charge Q distributed uniformly. Suppose that a point charge q of mass m, with a sign opposite to that of Q, is free to move within a solid sphere. Charge q is placed at rest on the surface of the solid sphere and released. Describe the subsequent motion. In particular, what is the period of the motion, and what is the total energy of the point charge? [Hint: recall the properties of the motion for which the force varies linearly with the distance from a fixed point and is a restoring force.]

If anyone could help me with either of these two problems, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use guass law for the rod taking a coaxial cylinder of radius 1 cm as Guassian surface.

Thanks mukundpa!
You were right...the E(rod) is equal to (lamda)/[2(pi)(Epsilon)r]

I plugged in all the coefficients and it worked perfectly =)

Can anyone help me with the second problem?

For the second problem I think the charge distribution is volume charge distribution.
The charge density rho = Q/(4*PI*R^3/3)

Consider a spherical Guassion surface of radius x the charge within the Guassian surface will be rho*(4*PI*x^3/3) and hence fiels at distance x from the center will be
E(x) =rho*(4*PI*x^3/3)/eo*(4*Pi*x^2) = Q*x/(e0*4*Pi*R^3) which is proprtional to x

Now find the force actiong on the - ve charge and solve for simple harmonic motion.

So taking E = Q*x/(e0*4*Pi*R^3), I substitute that into E = F/q?

Therefore, F = Eq = Q*q*r/(e0*4*Pi*R^3)

Using F how would I obtain the total energy of the point charge? Period of motion?
Wouldn't the total energy be PE + KE?
I'm really not that good at Physics, can you explain the concept for me?
Thanks!

First of all the charge q is nigative so the force will be negetive ( atteractive) and towards the center of the sphere.

Secondaly q is released from the surface hence the amplitude is R, the radius of the sphere.

Thirdly if F = - Kx the time period is 2Pi*sq.rt.(m/K)

Total energy of the charge is only potential at the surface and remains conserved.

Thanks! I get it now.

1. What is Gauss's Law and why is it important in science?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is important because it allows us to determine the electric field at any point in space due to a given distribution of charges, which is crucial in many applications such as designing electronic devices and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. What are the two main problems often encountered when applying Gauss's Law?

The two main problems that arise when using Gauss's Law are determining the correct Gaussian surface and correctly calculating the charge enclosed within that surface. Choosing the wrong surface or making mistakes in calculating the enclosed charge can lead to incorrect results.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used for any type of charge distribution, whether it is a single point charge, a line of charge, or a continuous distribution of charges. However, the shape and complexity of the distribution may affect the choice of Gaussian surface and the calculation of the enclosed charge.

4. How is Gauss's Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law is a mathematical consequence of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By integrating Coulomb's Law over a closed surface, we can derive Gauss's Law.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Gauss's Law?

Yes, Gauss's Law has some limitations. It only applies to static electric fields and cannot be used for time-varying fields. It also assumes that the medium surrounding the charges is homogeneous and isotropic. Additionally, Gauss's Law is only valid in the absence of magnetic fields or in cases where the magnetic field is constant in time.