1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 problems

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    Hi ,
    I have two problem with which I am stuck:

1- Given the family of curves y=1/(x+C).
    Find the family of orthogonal trajectories

For this problem, I took the first derivative of y---> y'=-1/(x+C)^2. from here, I cannot find the value of C since (x+C)^2=-1/y' which is impossible.
    What can I do here?

2- The pairs {x^2+x,x^2} and {x,x+2x^2} ( found by the Wronskian) are base solutions of the equation y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0.
    Give the general solution of the equation.

Here I dont even know how to start.

Thank you
    B

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2
    Using 'k' instead of 'C', (in other words, let C=k)
    Let g(x) describe the family of orthagonal trajectories of y=f(x)=1/(x+k)

[tex]\begin{gathered}
    y = f\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{{x + k}} \Rightarrow \frac{{df}}{{dx}} = - \frac{1}{{\left( {x + k} \right)^2 }} \Rightarrow \hfill \\
    \frac{{dg}}{{dx}} = \left( {x + k} \right)^2 \Rightarrow g\left( x \right) = \int {\left( {x + k} \right)^2 dx} = \frac{{\left( {x + k}\right)^3 }}{3} \hfill \\ \end{gathered} [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  4. Feb 26, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do say that's impossible? It's certainly possible for y' to be negative isn't it?
    It might be simpler, however, to reverse it: x+ C= 1/y so, differentiating both sides, 1= (-1/y2)y' and y'= -y2. For the orthogonal trajectories you must have y'= 1/y2.

I'm not certain what is meant by "base solutions" or in what sense those are "base solutions" but I suspect that the general solution is
    y(x)= Cx2+ Dx.

5. Feb 26, 2006 #4
    Thank you,
    I was confused by the fact that a square ca not be negative. But as you pointed out , we are talking about derivative..
    B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?