UK Maths Challenge: Struggling with Numbers 23 & 25

In summary, The conversation is about a past paper from the UK Maths Challenge, specifically questions 23 and 25. The person asking for help is struggling with question 23, which involves using similar triangles. For question 25, they are not familiar with the concept of modulo arithmetic and are hesitant to attempt it. However, the person helping suggests using mods to simplify the problem and gives some hints on how to approach it. Eventually, the person asking for help is able to solve both questions with the guidance provided.
Trail_Builder
I had to do this past paper from the uk maths challenge and could do all of them bar 23 and 25. Any help or starting points would be great :D

Homework Statement

numbers 23 and 25

http://www.wpr3.co.uk/UKMT/imc.html

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

23. I did some pythagorus, and found things in terms of PR, and ended up going in circles a few times, but fear i have missed a key concept. can someone tell me where to begin?

25. not sure where to begin. I 'could' in theory do in the long and very slow way of trial and error, but in a exam an hour long there must be a way to do it... just advice on where to begin would be nice :D

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
For 23, note that they are similar triangles.

yeh i got that, but i still can't go from there :(

Well, given that QPR and RPS are equal angles, then you can form two equations for the cosine of the angle, each expression containing the side PR, which is what you want to calculate.

For 25), I don't want to completely spoil your fun, so I'll just drop some hints.

i) Clearly j,k<=4 and l,m<=3.

ii) Since the powers are adding to an even number, k=0. Put that in and reduce the equation mod 5. This tells you what l is.

iii) Put that in and reduce mod 11. This gives you j. Now you know m. Bingo.

Jesus Australians in Yr 12 don't know anything about mods, Englands smart >.<

thnx, i should be able to do them now, thnx

wooo i did 23, thnx for you help buddy, ill get better as spotting stuff like that with practise :D

as for 25, we havnt done mods yet, and if that's the only way ya'd do it in the real thing, ill just give it a pass.

unless mods are easily explainable and just a case of knowing it?

Modulo arithmetic is elementary. Let's do the first step of 25. Since j=0 we have 5^j+7^l+11^m=2005. Reducing this modulo 5 is just considering only remainders after division by 5. Assuming j<>0 this becomes 2^l+1^m=0 (since 7mod5=2 and 11mod5=1. This gives 2^l=(-1) mod 5. Why, 2^2=4, which has a remainder of -1 when divided by 5. So I'll try l=2. No other small number will work. Etc. This can be REALLY handy for these smart ass type questions.

What is the UK Maths Challenge?

The UK Maths Challenge is an annual mathematics competition for students in the United Kingdom, organized by the UK Mathematics Trust. It aims to stimulate mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills among students.

What is Numbers 23 & 25 in the UK Maths Challenge?

Numbers 23 & 25 refer to specific questions in the UK Maths Challenge that are known to be particularly difficult for students. These questions are typically from the higher tier paper, designed for students in Year 12 and 13.

Why do students struggle with Numbers 23 & 25?

Numbers 23 & 25 require a high level of mathematical knowledge and advanced problem-solving skills. They often involve complex calculations and non-traditional methods, which can be challenging for students who are not familiar with them.

How can students prepare for Numbers 23 & 25?

Students can prepare for Numbers 23 & 25 by practicing a variety of mathematical problems and familiarizing themselves with different methods of solving them. They can also seek help from their teachers or peers, and participate in mock tests or study groups.

What are the benefits of participating in the UK Maths Challenge?

The UK Maths Challenge provides an opportunity for students to develop their mathematical skills, gain confidence, and challenge themselves. It also looks impressive on college or university applications and can lead to other opportunities, such as math scholarships or internships.