1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 problems

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    I need to know the names of theorems related to the following two problems:

1. What is the maximum sum less than 1 but more than 0 that can be formed from [tex]\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} + \frac{1}{r}[/tex], where p, q and r are positive integers?

2. What is the maximum perimeter and area of an inscribed quadrilateral and triangle in a circle with a fixed radius r?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    I realise that there may be no established theorems for the above 2 problems, so can anyone please suggest how I can go about solving them?
  4. Jan 11, 2005 #3
    OK, I'm going to shamelessly bump this. *BUMP*

Can someone tell me if it is even possible to solve the second problem? The first one has been solved already.
  5. Jan 12, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

I am trying to find the maximum perimeter an inscribed quadrilateral, but I haven't succeeded yet.
    About the maximum area an inscribed quadrilateral, I suggest you using:
    [tex]S_{ABC} = \frac{1}{2} \times AB \times AC \times \sin{BAC}[/tex]
    Call A, B, C, D the points on the circle.
    Try to figure out the [tex]S_{AOB}, S_{BOC}, S_{COD}, S_{DOA}[/tex] using the above function.
    OA = OB = OC = OD = R
    And [tex]\sin{90} = 1 \mbox{is max}[/tex]
    So an inscribed quadrilateral has the max erea is the inscribed square.
    That's it.
    Hope it help, :smile:
    PS: Can you give me the answer for number 1?
    Is it
    Viet Dao,
  6. Jan 12, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help. :smile: And yes, that is the answer to question 2, not 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?