Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Q's

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    1. I have to calculate the voltage of a standard cell with the following half-cell reactions:

Ni(s) ---> Ni2+ + 2e-
    2e- + Cl2(g) ---> 2Cl-

2. By the electrolysis of water, 11.2L of oxygen at STP was prepared
    a) What charge was required?
    b) If a current of 0.5A was used, how long did it take?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what do you need help for??? these are all standard questions, it doesn't get any easier then this. Try solving it yourself first, show your work.

4. May 27, 2005 #3
    these questions may very well be easy for you..but I am not familiar with calculating voltage and charge.

I dont need the answer, just a helpful hint. (a site, or something..I dont mind doing the work but I dont see any useful info about it in my book)

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  5. May 27, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure your text talks about Faraday's Laws of Electrolysis. If not :eek:, there's always Google.

6. May 27, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hint #1

finding the voltage of the standard cell is similar to Hess' law (with the emphasis on "similar"). Perhaps you can remember the method now. What can you do with each of the standard emf values for each half reaction to solve the problem? The question is especially easy since the stoichiometric ratio of electrons are the same.

hint #2

It is quite important that you read up on this subject, it should be at the end of the electrolysis section of your text. First, what can yo do with the 11.2L at STP, how can yo convert this to moles?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?