1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 questions in Electric and magnetic fields in space.

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    Hey all I was just wondering if anyone knows how to figure out these two questions.

1) The difference in potential between the cathode and the anode of a spark plug is 1.0x10^4V. What energy does an electron give up as it passes between the electrodes?

This one I am really pretty clueless.

2) Television channel 6 broadcasts on a frequency of 85MHz. What is the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave broadcast on channel 6? What is the length of an antenna that will detect channel 6 most easily?

I read somewhere that to figure out radio wave length you take the megahertz and divide it into 300. Which works out to 3.5. I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it seems sort of simple.

If anyone could give any help would be appreciated also any sites where I can better learn the material being used would be great. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2
    1) Use the relationship between voltage and energy, its really simple.

2) Speed of wave = Frequency * Wavelength

Speed of wave = c = 3 x 10e8
    Frequency = 85MHz = 8.5 x 10e7 Hz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?