1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 questions one wave one delta function

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    1st question

what the heck does a "minimum" mean when talking about interference in waves, i got a question of the like y = 1.19(1 + 2 cos p)sin(kx - wt + p) is the superpostion function of three waves one which is p out of phase of the first and another which is p out of phase of the second wave. What value of p gives the minimum, i have no idea what that means I'm guessin when the amplitude is 0 or when pi/2 - kx + wt = p but how do i find that?

2nd question

i have the function

\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} (6-5x^5)\delta(x) dx[/tex]

now by defintion of the delta function because 0 is contained with-in (as is all numbers) between the limits should it not = 0? thanks anyone
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

2nd question:

Delta function:
    \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} f(x)\delta(x-a) dx = f(a)[/tex]
    Using that, it looks to me like your value is 6
    I'll look at the first question a little more before I hazard a guess on it.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    how is it 6 when [tex]f(x) = 6-5x^4[/tex], and [tex]\delta(x) = \delta(x-0)[/tex]?
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because the "definition" of the delta function that you refer to requires that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x)dx= f(0)[/tex]!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?