2 questions related to norm

• Thread starter yooyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector x that satisfies a specific equation using the infinite matrix norm and proving a bound for the relative error in approximating the inverse of a matrix. The first part involves finding the maximum component of y=Ax and the second part involves using matrix conventions to define the relative error.
yooyo
Q1:
how do we find a vector x so that ||A|| = ||Ax||/||x||(using the infinite norm)
totally no clue on this question..

Q2: Suppose that A is an n×n invertible matrix, and B is an approximation of A's inverse A^-1 such that AB = I + E for some matrix E. Show that the relative error in approximating A^-1 by B is bounded by ||E||(for some arbitrary matrix norm ||· ||).
relative error=(a^-1-B)/A^-1
AB=I+E--------1
AA^-1=I-------2
1/2: B/A^-1=1+E/I=1+E => (A^-1-B)/A^=-E
now I'm stucking...how do I connect -E to norm of E?
am I on the right track?any suggestion? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) ||Ax|| is equal to the component of y=Ax with the maximum magnitude. Now each component of y satisfies

[tex] y_i = A_i^Tx \leq \sum_j |a_{ij}|[/tex]

for

[tex]||x||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

So the infinity norm of a matrix is

[tex] \max_{i} \sum_j |a_{ij}| [/tex]

Now it is straightforward to identify the desired x.2) Your syntax does not make any sense at all: What do you mean by B/A^-1? I suggest you follow matrix convention and use the definition for relative error.

Last edited:

For Q1, we can use the definition of the infinite norm to find a vector x that satisfies ||A|| = ||Ax||/||x||. The infinite norm of a matrix A is defined as the maximum absolute value of all entries in the matrix. So, we can find a vector x with all entries equal to 1, and then calculate ||Ax|| and ||x|| to get ||A|| = ||Ax||/||x||.

For Q2, we can use the fact that the relative error in approximating A^-1 by B is given by (A^-1-B)/A^-1. From equation 2, we know that A^-1A = I, so we can rewrite this expression as (A^-1-B)I = -E. Now, using the definition of matrix norms, we know that ||A^-1-B|| <= ||A^-1|| ||B||. Rearranging this inequality, we get ||A^-1-B||/||A^-1|| <= ||B||. Substituting this into our previous expression, we get (A^-1-B)/A^-1 <= ||B|| ||I|| = ||B||. Since ||B|| is a constant, we can say that the relative error is bounded by ||E|| for any arbitrary matrix norm ||· ||.

1. What is the definition of a norm?

A norm is a standard or rule that is widely accepted and expected to be followed in a particular society or group. It can also refer to a statistical measure that represents the average or typical value of a set of data.

2. How are norms established and maintained?

Norms are typically established and maintained through socialization and reinforcement. This can include formal mechanisms such as laws and regulations, as well as informal mechanisms such as social pressure and expectations from peers and authority figures.

3. What is the role of norms in shaping behavior?

Norms play a significant role in shaping behavior as they provide guidelines for what is considered appropriate and acceptable in a given society. They can influence individual choices and actions, as well as larger societal patterns and cultural norms.

4. Can norms change over time?

Yes, norms can change over time as societies and cultures evolve. Norms may shift in response to societal changes, technological advancements, and shifts in values and beliefs. This can also be influenced by external factors such as globalization and cultural exchange.

5. How can norms be challenged or changed?

Norms can be challenged or changed through deliberate actions and efforts. This can include activism, advocacy, and education to raise awareness and promote alternative norms. Norms can also be challenged and changed through individual and collective behaviors that go against the established norms.