Metric Elements and Einstein Equations in a Variable-Dependent Formulation

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
In summary: This is just the standard Minkowski metric, which has zero Riemann, Ricci, and Einstein tensors. So yes, the Einstein equations in vacuum would be of the form R_ii = 0, for i = T, X, Y.
eljose
I have two questions...let's suppose we have a metric in the form:

[tex] ds^2 =f(t)dt^2 +g(x)dx^2 +H(y)dy^2 [/tex]

So every element of the metric only depend on a variable..my question is..does this mean that the Einstein Equations (vaccuum) are of the form:

[tex] R_ii =0 [/tex] i=t,x,y ?..

-And the second question is i know that [tex] det(g_ab )=f(t)g(x)H(y) [/tex] but ..what's the form of the Lagrangian?..i guess:

[tex] L= \int_ V dVf(t)g(x)H(y)(f(t)R_00 +g(x)R_11+ H(y)R_22 ) [/tex]:rolleyes: :cool: :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
I have two questions...let's suppose we have a metric in the form:

[tex] ds^2 =f(t)dt^2 +g(x)dx^2 +H(y)dy^2 [/tex]

So every element of the metric only depend on a variable..my question is..does this mean that the Einstein Equations (vaccuum) are of the form:

[tex] R_ii =0 [/tex] i=t,x,y ?..

Yep. I threw this line element (with a k(z) dz^2 term added) into GrTensor II, the Riemann was zero, as well as the Ricci and the Einstein.

And a "Mixed" one?.. [tex] ds^2 = f(t)dt^2 + g_ij dx^i dx^j [/tex] Where Einstein summation is assumed...

This line element is just a simple diffeomorphism of normal Minkowski space. Consider changing the coordinates to T, X, and Y, such that:

[tex] dT = \sqrt{-f(t)} dt[/tex]
[tex]dX = \sqrt{g(x)} dx[/tex]
[tex]dY = \sqrt{H(y)} dy[/tex]

In these coordinates, the line element becomes:
[tex] ds^2 = - dT^2 + dX^2 + dY^2[/tex]

1. What are metric elements?

Metric elements are mathematical quantities that define the geometry of a space. In physics, they are used to describe the curvature of spacetime in the theory of general relativity.

2. What is the Einstein equation?

The Einstein equation is a fundamental equation in the theory of general relativity, developed by Albert Einstein. It relates the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it.

3. What is a variable-dependent formulation?

A variable-dependent formulation is a mathematical approach in which the equations are written in terms of varying quantities instead of fixed parameters. In the context of metric elements and Einstein equations, this means that the equations take into account the changing geometry of spacetime.

4. How is a variable-dependent formulation used in physics?

In physics, a variable-dependent formulation is used to describe physical phenomena that involve changing quantities, such as the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the underlying dynamics.

5. What are some applications of a variable-dependent formulation in physics?

Variable-dependent formulations have numerous applications in physics, including in the fields of general relativity, cosmology, and quantum gravity. They are also used in numerical simulations and modeling of physical systems.