Verifying Work: Two Objects & Softball Pitch Questions

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitch Work
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving objects in motion. The first problem involves two objects connected by a rope and their acceleration towards each other, with the answer being t=2 seconds. The second problem involves a softball pitcher and the acceleration of a ball thrown at 65 mph, with the first question being the time it takes for the ball to reach home plate (t=0.43 seconds) and the second question being the magnitude and direction of the acceleration causing the ball to curve (6 inches in 0.43 seconds in the left direction). The conversation concludes with clarifying the scenario of the second problem and finding the acceleration of a particle moving a distance of 6 inches in 0.43 seconds from rest.
brad sue
Hey ,

I

I need to verify my work about this problem:
Two small objects A and B are suspended from the ends of a rope thrown over a pulley. Object A is at 1.2 m above B when the system is at rest. Object A descends with a downward acceleration of 0.3m/s2 and because of the rope, B accelerates upward at the same rate. How much time elapses before the objects bump each other?

I found t=2seconds

II

A softball picher pitches a ball at 65 mph.
The distance from the pitcher's mound to home plate is 43ft, but the pitcher realeases the ball about 41 ft from the home plate.
a- How long does it takes for the ball to reach home plate? (I found it t=.43s)
b-A Good pitcher can make the ball curve left about 6 inches over the pitch distance. If this is due to a constant acceleration, what is its magnitude and which direction does it act?

For this second question I do not know how to do it
need some suggestions

Thank you
brad

Physics news on Phys.org
The first two answers are correct.

For IIb, the ball curves to the left, so the acceln must be in the same dirn, no!

You are given the distance moved - 6 inches - and the time taken - the time for the pitcher to reach the home plate.
Use the standard eqns of motions now.

question (bis)

Sorry, but I still don't get perhaps I have difficulty to represent the scene . I do not know baseball well!
but I continue searching!

Forget the baseball.

Consider the question as:

A particle, starting from rest and moving under a constant acceleration, moves a distance of 6 inches in 0.43 sec. What is its acceleration ?

When the baseball is thrown, it has an intial velocity of 65 mph, but that is in the forward direction, from mound to plate. It won't have any (initial) velocity in the sideways direction, just a small amount of acceleration.

Last edited:
Fermat said:
Forget the baseball.

Consider the question as:

A particle, starting from rest and moving under a constant acceleration, moves a distance of 6 inches in 0.43 sec. What is its acceleration ?

When the baseball is thrown, it has an intial velocity of 65 mph, but that is in the forward direction, from mound to plate. It won't have any (initial) velocity in the sideways direction, just a small amount of acceleration.

ok! Thanks I see what to do now!

1. How do you verify that two objects are identical?

To verify that two objects are identical, you can use a variety of methods such as visual inspection, physical measurements, and testing for functional equivalence. Visual inspection involves examining the two objects closely to determine if they have the same physical appearance and characteristics. Physical measurements involve taking precise measurements of the objects to check for any differences. Testing for functional equivalence involves performing the same tasks or functions with both objects to see if they produce the same results.

2. What is the significance of verifying two objects?

Verifying two objects is important in ensuring that they are the same and can be used interchangeably. This is especially crucial in scientific experiments or manufacturing processes where consistency and accuracy are essential. It also helps to identify any potential defects or differences between the objects that could impact their performance or reliability.

3. Can two objects that look identical be considered identical?

No, two objects that look identical may not necessarily be identical. While visual inspection is a useful method for verifying objects, it may not reveal any internal or functional differences. Therefore, it is important to use other methods such as physical measurements and functional testing to confirm their identity.

4. How can you verify the accuracy of a softball pitch?

To verify the accuracy of a softball pitch, you can use tools such as a radar gun or a speed sensor to measure the velocity of the pitch. You can also use a strike zone target to determine if the pitch is within the designated area. Additionally, you can have a trained observer or umpire watch the pitch and make a judgment on its accuracy.

5. Why is it important to verify the accuracy of a softball pitch?

Verifying the accuracy of a softball pitch is crucial in ensuring fair play and maintaining the integrity of the game. It also helps to assess the skills of the pitcher and identify any areas for improvement. In competitive settings, accurate pitching can make the difference between winning and losing, making it essential to verify its accuracy.