How can activation energy affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: Anyway, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In summary, geometric isomers only exist in the alkene family, but not in alkanes. This is because in alkanes the double bond between the carbon atoms is too rigid to allow for rotation around the bond, while in the alkene family the double bond allows for rotation. Additionally, in more complex alkene molecules there are more side chains which can attach to either the cis or trans side of the double bond, thus resulting in a different molecule.
joejo
Why do geometric isomers only exist in the alkene family but not in alkanes?

What are different ways of increasing the rate of a chemical reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
the double bond in the alkene alows for roation. Due to the rigidity of the double bond, molecules direclty in contact with the bond have a very hard time moving but the two free bonds on each molecule ( asuming its a two carbon chain) are albe to roate freely.

This condition is know as Cis and Trans isomerisim.

Also with more complex alkene there is more double bonds. Also the more complex the alkene, the more side chains it may have. Thus with a large amount of side chains, the chain itself can attach to either the Cis or Trans side of the double bond and thus producing a different molecule.

The alkanes on the other hand have no double bonds and no matter how you look at them , two molecules with the same chemical formula can not be rearranged differently

As for increasing the rate of chemical reaction you must:

• increase surface area
  • increase concentrations
  • increase temperature

Last edited:
thx that clears things up a bit...As for increasing the rate of chemical reaction are there any more ways or just those...

i think catalyst will increse the rate of rxn?? pls check

neone else?

joejo said:
thx that clears things up a bit...As for increasing the rate of chemical reaction are there any more ways or just those...

Temperature and in some cases, the concentration of the reactants, depending on the order of the reaction (if you are unsure of what I'm talking about, just ignore it).

[edit]
sorry, i didn't read your whole post. And i don't think catalysts speed up the reaction, they simply allow it to occur at a lower energy state by lowering the activation energy.

WhirlwindMonk said:
Temperature and in some cases, the concentration of the reactants, depending on the order of the reaction (if you are unsure of what I'm talking about, just ignore it).

[edit]
sorry, i didn't read your whole post. And i don't think catalysts speed up the reaction, they simply allow it to occur at a lower energy state by lowering the activation energy.

Lowering the activation energy is speeding up the reaction. Think of it in terms of a linear distance. If I am 5 miles from a store one day and 3 miles the next day, when will I get there faster?

bross7 said:
Lowering the activation energy is speeding up the reaction. Think of it in terms of a linear distance. If I am 5 miles from a store one day and 3 miles the next day, when will I get there faster?

That's right. It's just all those rules I have crammed into my head tend to get mixed up, especially when its almost 1 in the morning.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom. A compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together.

2. How do you calculate the number of moles in a given mass of a substance?

To calculate the number of moles, divide the given mass of the substance by its molar mass. The result will be the number of moles.

3. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy, whereas an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from the surroundings.

4. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. Use coefficients to adjust the number of molecules or compounds.

5. What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change only alters the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape or state, while a chemical change results in the formation of new substances with different chemical properties.