Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 quick easy questions

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    what is CrO42- in chemistry?

how do you combine the formula for Mg2+ and CrO42-
    please explain and show work thanks :approve:
    Well my guess would be that its... MgO4?

ALSO: how do you combine Sr2+ and SO42-
    it would be SrSO4 right? or would it be Sr4SO and does the SO need parentheses around it?
    ah please help im confusing myself:confused:

and sorry for messing up the last part. (fixed)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    CrO[tex]_{4}[/tex] [tex]^{2-}[/tex] is the chromate ion. For your other question, show an attempt at figuring it out yourself and you'll be more likely to get help. Or if you're really that confused, which part do you not understand about it? I'll help you with the question, but no one here is going to just give you the answer.

And for the last part, you gave magnesium and sulfate ions in the problem, and then when you worked it out you used the carbonate ion. I think you may have typed the wrong thing, so if you clear that up I'll be glad to help

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    It would be Sr(SO4) The ending compound must have a net charge of zero, the Sr ion has a 2+ charge and the ionic compound SO4 has a 2- charge, meaning you would need only need one of each to have a net charge of zero.

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No need for brackets, SrSO4 will do.

--
    methods

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Right sorry, the parenthesis would have only been needed if there were more than one of the SO4 ions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook