Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Quick Q's

1. May 29, 2005 #1
    thought I'd ask here too..I have 2 quick questions.

One is on naming compounds (hydrocarbons)

a) CH3 - C = CH - CH2 - CH3
    |
    CH3

(the CH3 should be under the C)

what's the key? is number one counting up how many C and H's there are? which element is first?

my second question is on structural and geometric isomers. I've read up on both but just when I think I understand I read something else and it confuses me. In one or two lines, what's the difference?
    I thought it was simply a geometric isomer would have to be GEOMETRICALLY shaped differently, but apparently that is not true.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    nm, I figured this out.

however, I dont see how to do it the other way around:

I have some substances and I need to name them.

a) [Cu(Cl4)-2
    b) Ag(NH3)+2
    c) Cu(NH3)4SO-4
    d) Al(H2O)6Cl3

Thanks a lot.

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    I know you say you can do this but I would like to post a hint for others that may read this.

First count the longest chain of carbon atoms. If the compound (above) did not have the extra branch then it would be pentene. As there is, then it must be added to the name. In this case the branch is off the 2nd (or 4th) carbon atom (but 2nd is used as it is a smaller number). It has one carbon atom in its make up so it is a methyl- branch. Also, because it is an alkene then you need to state the carbon atom where the double bond is.

The full name is, therefore, 2-methylprop-2-ene.

The Bob (2004 ©)

5. May 30, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 30, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure The Bob meant to say 2-methylpent-2-ene

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?