Understanding Naming Compounds and Isomers | Common Chemistry Questions

• Thread starter BH20
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes two quick questions: one about naming hydrocarbons and another about the difference between structural and geometric isomers. The key to naming compounds involves counting the longest chain of carbon atoms and identifying any branches. Structural isomers differ in the arrangement of atoms within a molecule, while geometric isomers differ in the spatial arrangement of atoms. In coordination compounds, the naming convention follows specific guidelines set by IUPAC.
BH20
thought I'd ask here too..I have 2 quick questions.

One is on naming compounds (hydrocarbons)

a) CH3 - C = CH - CH2 - CH3
|
CH3

(the CH3 should be under the C)

what's the key? is number one counting up how many C and H's there are? which element is first?

my second question is on structural and geometric isomers. I've read up on both but just when I think I understand I read something else and it confuses me. In one or two lines, what's the difference?
I thought it was simply a geometric isomer would have to be GEOMETRICALLY shaped differently, but apparently that is not true.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
BH20 said:

|
CH3

what's the key? is number one counting up how many C and H's there are? which element is first?

my second question is on structural and geometric isomers. I've read up on both but just when I think I understand I read something else and it confuses me. In one or two lines, what's the difference?
I thought it was simply a geometric isomer would have to be GEOMETRICALLY shaped differently, but apparently that is not true.

Thanks

nm, I figured this out.

however, I don't see how to do it the other way around:

I have some substances and I need to name them.

a) [Cu(Cl4)-2
b) Ag(NH3)+2
c) Cu(NH3)4SO-4
d) Al(H2O)6Cl3

Thanks a lot.

BH20 said:

|
CH3

I know you say you can do this but I would like to post a hint for others that may read this.

First count the longest chain of carbon atoms. If the compound (above) did not have the extra branch then it would be pentene. As there is, then it must be added to the name. In this case the branch is off the 2nd (or 4th) carbon atom (but 2nd is used as it is a smaller number). It has one carbon atom in its make up so it is a methyl- branch. Also, because it is an alkene then you need to state the carbon atom where the double bond is.

The full name is, therefore, 2-methylprop-2-ene.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
The full name is, therefore, 2-methylprop-2-ene.
I'm sure The Bob meant to say 2-methylpent-2-ene

What is "2 Quick Q's"?

"2 Quick Q's" is a phrase that refers to two short questions or inquiries that can be answered quickly.

Why is it important to have quick questions?

Quick questions are important because they can save time and get to the point efficiently, making it easier to gather information and make decisions.

Are there any benefits to asking quick questions?

Yes, there are several benefits to asking quick questions. They can lead to more productive conversations, help clarify misunderstandings, and encourage active listening.

How can I come up with effective quick questions?

To come up with effective quick questions, it's important to focus on the main topic and avoid asking open-ended or complex questions. Also, try to be specific and direct with your inquiries.

Can quick questions be used in a scientific setting?

Yes, quick questions can be used in a scientific setting. In fact, scientists often use quick questions to gather information and make quick observations during experiments or research.