How to Predict the Chance of Getting 12 Heads and 13 Tails from 25 Coin Tosses?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary, a gambler will lose money on average if she bets $1 on four numbers each time she plays roulette.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Chp 18, Rev Ex 4

A coin is tossed 25 times. Estimate the chance of getting 12 heads and 13 tails.

Chp 16, Rev Ex 8

A gambler will play roulette 50 times, betting a dollar on four joining numbers each. If one of these four numbers comes up, she gets the dollar back, together with winnings of $8. If any other number comes up, she loses the dollar. So this bet pays 8 to 1, and there are 4 chances in 38 of winning. Her net gain in 50 plays is like the sum of ____ draws from the box ____. Fill in the blanks; explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate the expected value and standard error, but that can't possibly be what I use to predict an exact number such as "12 heads." Where am I supposed to go with this one? I could always just brute force it.

On the second, problem I'm confused about the phrasing "8 to 1." Does that mean she bets a dollar and has a chance of getting $9 back? If you said a bet was "2 to 1," I'd assume that meant "either you get $2 back or lose $1"; but you really wouldn't be getting $2 back because you paid a dollar to begin with. See my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isnt this maths? Have you done about probability trees? Google them

Adam

AdamCFC said:
Isnt this maths? Have you done about probability trees? Google them

Adam

I'm not about to do a probability tree on something with 25 repetitions

You can approximate a binomial probability with a normal probability in this case. Your textbook should have an example of how to do this. Also, see this Wiki article, especially the section titled Binomial approximation.

(thread moved to math sections)

On part 2, if a bet pays "X to 1" that means that if you win, you get your original bet back, plus X times your original bet. Gambling tables sometimes have a different designation "Y for 1" which means that your bet gets taken either way, and you get Y if you win.

So "5 to 1" and "6 for 1" are the same thing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what is supposed to go in those blanks; maybe your textbook/class have talked about "draws from a box of something" as an equivalence for expected value or something.

hgfalling said:
On part 2, if a bet pays "X to 1" that means that if you win, you get your original bet back, plus X times your original bet. Gambling tables sometimes have a different designation "Y for 1" which means that your bet gets taken either way, and you get Y if you win.

So "5 to 1" and "6 for 1" are the same thing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what is supposed to go in those blanks; maybe your textbook/class have talked about "draws from a box of something" as an equivalence for expected value or something.

Thanks for the clarification. So there is a 4/38 chance of +$8 and a 34/38 chance of -$1. After 38 plays we expect $8 + $8 + $8 + $8 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 - $1 = -$2

And after a playing a ton of rounds, -$2 -$2 -$2 -$2 -$2 -$2 -$2 - ...

Money lost.

What is the probability of getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses?

The probability of getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses is approximately 0.027 or 2.7%.

How do you calculate the probability of getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses?

The probability can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials, number of successes, and probability of success for each trial.

Is getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses considered a rare event?

Yes, it is considered a rare event because the probability is less than 5%.

What factors can affect the likelihood of getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses?

The main factor is chance, but other factors such as the quality of the coin, the tossing technique, and external factors like wind can also play a role.

Can the probability of getting 12 heads and 13 tails from 25 coin tosses be increased?

No, the probability cannot be increased as it is determined by the number of possible outcomes and the laws of probability.