RAM for AMD Ryzen 9 5950x: 2 vs 4 for FEA

• Thread starter KyleGranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram
In summary, the individual is looking to build a computer using the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x and is debating between using 2 or 4 sticks of RAM. However, since the CPU and motherboard max out at 128GB, there should be no noticeable difference in performance. The individual also mentions having a free upgrade option in the future with 2 sticks, as opposed to having to fill all 4 slots with 4 sticks. They mention using the computer for FEA, specifically running Ansys and Comsol simulations, which can be taxing on memory. Overall, the individual plans to max out the memory at 128GB for now.
KyleGranger
TL;DR Summary
Is it better to use 2 sticks or 4 of RAM to achieve the same total memory
I am looking to build a computer using the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x. I am wondering I will be better off with 2 or 4 sticks of RAM. I will be using this for FEA.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If my search went right, it's limited to two memory channels anyway. So two or four stick - there should be no noticeable difference.
On the other hand, with two stick you will have free upgrade option for the future (I guess the usual motherboards has four slots).

Rive said:
If my search went right, it's limited to two memory channels anyway. So two or four stick - there should be no noticeable difference.
On the other hand, with two stick you will have free upgrade option for the future (I guess the usual motherboards has four slots).
Yeah I think you're right about two channels. What do you mean by having a free upgrade option in the future?

If you have two sticks in a four slot motherboard, then more memory is just buying two more sticks.
With all slots full, it's far more fuss.

O ok I see. I'm planning to max out the memory at 128 GB so I'm trying to figure out if I should go 2x64 or 4x32. It looks like there are far less options for 64 GB sticks though.

But if you get 2 x 64gb for 128gb then you have room to further expand to 256gb in the future.

KyleGranger said:
I'm planning to max out the memory at 128 GB
What kind of home computer software needs that kind of memory? Some kind of game? Massive data manipulation?

phinds said:
What kind of home computer software needs that kind of memory? Some kind of game? Massive data manipulation?
The CPU and motherboard max out at 128GB so I think I'll be running this amount for a while.

I'm running Ansys and Comsol. With multiple simulations, it's pretty taxing.

• Informative
Likes phinds

1. What is the recommended amount of RAM for AMD Ryzen 9 5950x for FEA?

The recommended amount of RAM for AMD Ryzen 9 5950x for FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a minimum of 16GB, but 32GB or more is recommended for better performance and handling of larger simulations.

2. Is there a significant difference in performance between using 2 vs 4 RAM sticks for FEA on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x?

There may be a slight performance difference between using 2 vs 4 RAM sticks for FEA on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, but it is not significant. The overall performance is more dependent on the total amount of RAM and the speed of the individual RAM sticks.

3. Can I mix and match different RAM sizes and speeds on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x for FEA?

It is not recommended to mix and match different RAM sizes and speeds on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x for FEA. This can cause compatibility issues and potentially decrease performance. It is best to use identical RAM sticks for optimal performance.

4. How does RAM impact FEA performance on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x?

RAM plays a crucial role in FEA performance on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x. It is responsible for storing and organizing data for the simulations, and having a sufficient amount and speed of RAM can significantly improve processing times and overall performance.

5. Are there any specific RAM requirements for FEA software on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x?

Each FEA software may have different RAM requirements, but generally, they recommend a minimum of 16GB of RAM for optimal performance. It is best to check with the specific software's system requirements for the recommended RAM amount and speed for the best FEA experience on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x.