What are the extreme values of the function SQR[9 - x^2]?

• Thread starter force
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers the topics of differentiating and finding the differential of a function, as well as discussing the difference between a differential and a derivative. The conversation also touches on finding the range of a function and provides a link to a resource for further explanation. The main point of confusion is clarified and the conversation ends with a summary of the topic at hand.
force
What is the difference between a differential and a derivative ?

(SQR[9 - x^2])^2 = 9 - x^2 ok, so what is SQR[9 - x^2] = ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
for the first question, you can refer to this pdf: http://are.berkeley.edu/courses/ARE211/currentYear/lecture_notes/mathCalculus1-05.pdf

[itex] (\sqrt {9-x^2})^2= 9-x^2 [/itex] and you're asking what [itex] \sqrt {9-x^2} [/itex] equals..?
i don't understand what you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have: [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex] in your equation. Unless you are in the Complex (i.e C), [itex]x \ \in \ [-3, 3][/itex].
The equation is:
[tex](\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}) ^ 2 = 9 - x ^ 2[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow 9 - x ^ 2 = 9 - x ^ 2[/tex], which is always true.
But watch out for the condition that [itex]x \ \in \ [-3, 3][/itex]. So what is the range of [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex], what's the maximum, and minimum value for this expression?
------------------
By the way, it would certainly be nicer, if you include your thanks in the post (or write something more, instead of writing only 2 lines of the problem you are seeking help for), or otherwise, it'll look like you are demanding others to solve the problem for you, or to guide you (and in this case, it does seem so... :frown:).

Last edited:
well could you factor or simplify this expression SQR[9 - x^2] any further ?

consider y=f(x)= x^3 +3x
dy/dx=3x^2+3 is its derivative with respect to x, then what is its differential dy=f(x) dx ?
-----------------------------------------------
ofcourse I appreciate assistance from you folks, thank you

force said:
well could you factor or simplify this expression SQR[9 - x^2] any further ?
Well, you could factor it to [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2} = \sqrt{(3 - x)(3 + x)}[/itex]
However, that does not help much to find its maximum and minimum value.
Of course it's true that: [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2} \geq 0[/itex], so what's its minimum value?
[itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2} \leq \sqrt{9} = 3[/itex], because [itex]x ^ 2 \geq 0 , \ \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], so what's its maximum value?
Of course [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex] is continuous on the interval [-3; 3], so what are the "possible values" of [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex]?
----------
In general, you could find the maximum or minimum value of:
ax2 + bx + c by complete the square; or by differentiate it, then set its derivative to 0, and solve for x, test if it's a maximum or a minimum, then plug x back to ax2 + bx + c.
force said:
consider y=f(x)= x^3 +3x
dy/dx=3x^2+3 is its derivative with respect to x, then what is its differential dy=f(x) dx ?
The bolded part is wrong, it should read: dy = f'(x) dx.
So: dy = 3(x2 + 1) dx

Last edited:
x^2 can't be bigger than or equal to 0 as you already stated x[itex] forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

roger said:
x^2 can't be bigger than or equal to 0 as you already stated x[itex] forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
Err, I don't get this. Can you clarify it please... :confused:
I don't understand. Did I make any mistakes? :confused:

you stated that the domain / range was the reals so x^2 can't be bigger than 9

roger said:
you stated that the domain / range was the reals so x^2 can't be bigger than 9
I didn't state that the domain, or the codomain, or even the image is the real! I stated that the domain is [-3; 3] (post #3).
And what's on Earth does the fact x2 cannot be greater than 9 have anything to do here?
I explain that:
[itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2} \leq \sqrt{9} = 3[/itex] is true because: ([itex]x ^ 2 \geq 0 , \ \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], this statement alone is again true, and because it's true for all x in the reals, it must be also true for x on the interval [-3; 3], and thus the above statement [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2} \leq \sqrt{9} = 3[/itex] is entirely true).
And still, forgive me, but I don't understand what you said... :confused:

That's alright. It was a misunderstanding. I don't understand the relevance of this though, to what the OP asked ?

roger said:
That's alright. It was a misunderstanding. I don't understand the relevance of this though, to what the OP asked ?
Uhmm, as I interprete, the OP might be asking for the image of the function: [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex] if the following condition is met:
[itex](\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}) ^ 2 = 9 - x ^ 2[/itex]. (that condition is always true if [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex] is defined).
So I ask him to find the minimum value and maximum value of [itex]\sqrt{9 - x ^ 2}[/itex].
Yes, it's true that the OP question's not bring very clear. :approve: :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the concept behind "2 silly questions"?

The concept behind "2 silly questions" is to encourage individuals to think outside the box and come up with unconventional or humorous answers to stimulate creativity and imagination.

2. How can "2 silly questions" be used in a scientific setting?

"2 silly questions" can be used in a scientific setting as a brainstorming exercise or as a way to break out of traditional thought patterns when trying to solve a problem. It can also be used to spark discussions and explore unconventional ideas.

3. Can "2 silly questions" be used as a research tool?

Yes, "2 silly questions" can be used as a research tool to explore different perspectives and generate new ideas. It can also be used to gather data on how people think and come up with solutions, which can provide valuable insights for future studies.

4. Are there any benefits to asking "2 silly questions"?

Yes, there are several benefits to asking "2 silly questions". It can help improve critical thinking skills, promote creativity and innovation, and foster a positive and playful attitude towards problem-solving.

5. Can "2 silly questions" be used for team-building or icebreaker activities?

Absolutely! "2 silly questions" can be a fun and engaging way to get to know team members and break the ice in a group setting. It can also help build trust and collaboration among team members.