1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 simple Physics q's driving me nuts!

1. Oct 10, 2003 #1
    This looks really simple , but my teacher didn;t explain how to do them so i have no clue how to approach them cna someone kindly help?

1. A 400 N child and a 300 N child sit on either end of a 2.00 m long seesaw. where along the seesaw should the pivot support be placed to ensure rotational equilibrium?

2. A uniform meterstick, supported at the 30.0 cm mark, is balanced when a .50 N weight is hung at the 0 cm mark. What is the weight of the meterstick?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For static equilibrium, the sum of the Torques must equal 0.

Torque is a vector, and is equal to distance X force
  4. Oct 11, 2003 #3
    so how would i solve these problems?
  5. Oct 11, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said: sum the torques. set equal to zero. torque is force times distance.

400*x - 300*(2-x) = 0

There will be a better analysis in your book, I'm sure. Check for the chapter on rotational motion.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  6. Oct 11, 2003 #5
    as for the second part of your question:

the torques in both direction have to be the same again
    torque one arises from .5 N being placed at .3 m from the axis of rotation. the second torque is going to originate from the mass of the meter stick acting at the center of mass of the meter stick( in this case .5 m because the stick has a uniform density)
    equate the torques and you have an equation with one unknown. solve for it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?