1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(-2)^some decimal = a + bi? why?

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    (-2)^some decimal = a + bi? why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does 3^2 mean? It's 3*3. We then manipulate things algebraically and see it makes sense to define, for positive x, x^r for r 1/n for some integer n as the n'th root. We also see that x^{-r} = 1/x^r for r any integer, moreover we see we can define any rational power in this way - the power p/q is the qth root of the pth power. all well and good, but that doesn't allow us to *define* powers of negative numbers always, and have the power be not a rational number. So we add on the symbol i, so that (-1)^{1/2}:=i (that := means defined to be equal to). Adding in imaginary numbers allows us to define powers of negative numbers. Is that a sufficient start, I mean, is it puzzling to you why (-1)^{0.5} is of the form a+ib?

Do you need to know how to define the powers for irrationnal exponent?

properly, x^r := exp(r*log(x))

so it boils down to knowing exp of anything is just a power series in the anything, and defining log for arbitrary complex numbers, which can be done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  4. Feb 24, 2004 #3
    Egads! I cant believe I didn't see that..blame it on my lack of sleep. Now lets pretend I never asked it.

Thanks for the great explanation though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?