1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Stage Carnot Engine

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    Consider a Carnot engine operating between temperatures T_h_ and T_c_, where T_c_ is above the ambient temperature T_o_. A second engine operates between the temperatures T_c_ and T_o_.

Calculate (in terms of temperatures) the overall efficiency of the two-stage engine operating this way, and compare with the efficiency of a single Carnot engine operating between the high and low temperatures T_h_ and T_o_.
    Which has the higher efficiency, the two-stage or the single engine?

e = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)

e_2stage_ = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)(T_o_/T_c_) = 1 - (T_h_-T_o_)/(T_h_)

If I set this up correctly, the 2tage carnot engine will be by far more efficent since it uses the discarded heat to create more work.

I have a funny feeling as if this is violating some law of thermodynamics however..

any advice and feedback is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2
    Maybe this image helps :)

Attached Files:

4. Oct 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the hot and cold temperatures for the single stage engine?
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4
    hot temp = T_h_ and cold temp = T_c_ for single stage disregarding the second engine, which is T_o_ for the cold temp and T_c_ (above ambient temp) for the hot temp.
  6. Oct 13, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that what you are calling e_2stage is in fact the efficiency of a single stage operating between T_h and T_o. I can't see the equality between the two expressions you wrote. How did you come up with e_2stage?

Which is more efficient, an engine operating between T_h and T_c or one operating between T_h and T_o?
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  7. Oct 13, 2006 #6
    hmm, I see my mistake, let me try it this way

e = W/Q
    e2stage = (W1 + W2)/(Q1+Q2)
    e2stage = W1/Q1 + W2/Q1 + W1/Q2 + W2/Q2
    e2stage = (Q1 - Q2)/Q1 + (Q1 - Q2)/Q2 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q1 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q2

QH/QC = TH/TC

e2stage = (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_h_ + (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_c_ + (T_c_ - T_o_)/T_h_ + (T_c_- T_o_)/T_c_

is this it? I can't believe how far off I was earlier. Sorry for confusing you guys as much as I did.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  8. Oct 13, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first two lines are good, but the third violates some basic rules of Algebra. The line after that I don't get what you are doing.

The way I interpret your first two lines is this
    e is the efficiency of the single stage engine
    W is the work done by the single stage engine
    Q is the energy input to the single stage engine
    W1 and W2 are the work done by the individual stages of the two-stage engine, and Q1 and Q2 are the energy inputs to the two stages.

To compare the efficiencies, e to e2stage, I would set the work outputs equal (as I did by adding the blue terms to yoru equation), and compare the energy input Q to the sum of the stage inputs Q1 + Q2. The known efficiencies for the carnot engine can be incorporated into the second equation to begin the analysis. The relative magnitude of Q and (Q1 + Q2) can be interpreted to tell which efficiency is greater. You need to state your conclusion, not just come up with an equation for e2stage
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?