1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Stars Orbiting each other

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Their are 2 stars orbiting one another. Their masses are equal. The speed at which they rotate is 220 km/h, and their orbital period is 14.4 days. Find the mass of the Star.

2. Relevant equations
    220km/h = 61.1m/s
    14.4 days = 51840s

V= 2pi(r)/T
    F=ma
    F=mv^2/R
    F= m4pi^2r/T^2

Fg= Gm(star1)m(star2)/r^2

These are all the equations I've been using. So far, using V= 2pi(r)/T I can deduce that the radius of the star is 504111.2m and using V=d/t I THINK I can say that the space between the stars is 3167424m, but Im not sure.
    I've also tried equating F=mv^2/r with Fg = Gm(star1)^2/r^2, and then found the mass to be 3.616x10^13. I don't think this is right, as my teacher said hint: The mass of the sun is 1.99*10^30 kg.
    I know I often make stupid math mistakes, but I can't seem to find out where I went wrong... Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted