1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Surface integral problems

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    I have two problems on surface integrals.

1] I have a constant vector [itex]\vec v = v_0\hat k[/itex]. I have to evaluate the flux of this vector field through a curved hemispherical surface defined by [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2[/itex], for z>0. The question says use Stoke's theorem.

Stoke's theorem suggests:
    [tex]\int_s \left(\vec \nabla \times \vec v\right) \cdot d\vec a = \int_p \vec v \cdot d\vec l[/tex]

But the curl of this vector comes out to be zero :yuck:. Am I going right? How is the surface integral evaluated?

2] I have a vector field [itex]\vec A = y\hat i + z\hat j + x\hat k[/itex]. I have to find the value of the surface integral:
    [tex]\int_s \left(\vec \nabla \times \vec A\right) \cdot d\vec a[/tex]

The surface S here is a paraboloid defined by:
    [tex]z = 1 - x^2 - y^2[/tex]

I evaluated the curl and it comes out to be:
    [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec A = -1\left(\hat i + \hat j + \hat k\right)[/tex]

I need help here on the procedure to evaluate the surface integral.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not :yuck:, :biggrin: ! The integral of 0 over any volume is 0 so you have the answer right in front of you! Since you are using Stoke's theorem, you don't need to evaluate the surface integral.

You probably have a formula for [itex]d\vec a[/itex] but here is how I like to think about it: The surface is given by z= 1- x2- y2 which is the same as x2+ y2+ z= 1. We can think of that as a "level surface" of the function f(x,y,z)= x2+y2+ z. The gradient of that: 2xi+ 2yj+ k is normal to the surface and, since it is "normalized" to the xy-plane in the sense that the k component is 1, [itex]d\vec a= (2xi+ 2yj+ k)dxdy[/itex].
    Take the dot product of that with -(i+ j+ k) to get the integrand. You don't say over what region of the paraboloid that is to be integrated. If it is over the region above z= 0, then projected into the xy-plane, you have the circle x2+ y2= 1. Integrate over that circle. It will probably be simplest to do it in polar coordinates.
  4. Feb 17, 2006 #3
    Thank you very, very much!!! o:)

[tex]\left(\vec \nabla \times \vec A\right) \cdot d\vec a = -\left(2x + 2y + 1\right)dxdy[/tex]

The region of integration is over z>0. Just a little doubt...will the projected region on the xy-plane be a circle even if z>0?

[tex]\int_s \left(\vec \nabla \times \vec A\right) \cdot d\vec a = -\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \left(2x + 2y + 1\right)dxdy[/tex]

[tex]\int_s \left(\vec \nabla \times \vec A\right) \cdot d\vec a = -\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \left(2xdx + 2ydx + 1dx\right)dy[/tex]

[tex]\int_s \left(\vec \nabla \times \vec A\right) \cdot d\vec a = -2\int_0^1 (1+y)dy[/tex]

Evaluation of this gives me: -3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?