Can Two Touchscreens Be Used as One on a Single Computer?

• Electronics
  • Thread starter Pat Geballa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using one processor and two separate touch screens in a device, such as a flip phone, to create a larger display. The method of using a "T" cable to channel two screens into one plug for a computer is mentioned, but it is unsure if this is possible with smaller screens like those on a phone or tablet. The concept of using a select line to specify which screen the processor is talking to is suggested, but it may require custom designed screens. The conversation also mentions the potential difficulty in finding appropriate drivers for such a setup. The person asking the question is working on a prototype for a durable device with smartphone capabilities. The conversation ends with encouragement and curiosity about the progress of the project.
Pat Geballa
Hey Everyone I am new here and not an electrical engineer I am on the mechanical side of the spectrum. I have a question that you guys may be able to help me with for a project. If I am making something like a phone or tablet with 2 separate screens ( think like a flip phone). Is it possible to have one processor/computer and 2 connections to both screens so it can work as one touch screen. The best way i can relate to something already out there is like if you have 2 computer screens with a blown up image so the whole thing is displayed across the 2 screens. Thank you and sorry about the terminology.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are switches which allow you to channel two screens into one plug of the computer, a "T" cable. I think that either switching (another switch) as well as doubling the signal (the "T") is possible, but I'm not 100% sure. At least the old interfaces allowed this, don't know whether USB supports it, too, probably not.

Thanks for the quick reply . Yea I remember how to do it with the computer screens but my question is about a similar result but a smaller screen like a phone or tablet. So i would be using a ribbon or something along those lines. Maybe a better way to describe it would be think if you took an iphone and cut it in half to make it a flip phone. Thanks again for the quick answer though !

To use two separate touch screens the processor has to both write to and read from them independently. An similar concept for a desktop computer would be two disk drives. If you want to write to them independently there must be a way for the processor to specify which drive it is talking to. This is typically done with a cable to each device which connects to its own port on the processor.

A perhaps simpler analogy is a stereo HiFi system where two speakers connect to two terminal blocks on the amplifier.

If you will be building many of these 'things' of yours, you could use the same output from the processor and then add one more wire to select which screen. This requires that the screens sense the voltage on the added wire and that one screen is active when the voltage is low and the other screen is active when the voltage is high. This added wire is used as a "Select" line, a common approach in electronics. The drawback is that stock screens probably don't have the Select capability, so that means a custom designed screen.

Of course similiar, but slightly more difficult, intricacies arise for touch input from the screens.
(for instance what happens when both screens are stroked at the same time?)

Have fun! Sounds like you are on a learning path in computer engineering. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

Hey Tom thanks for the answer. I am hoping to be building many of these things but i have to start with prototype first than patent etc... And yea it looks like I am doing some crash course computer engineering for it to work. Another clue i can give you to how the device will be is think the durability of an old nextel phone but capability of a smartphone. Thats what I am going for atleast.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Keep us posted as you can without giving away any secrets.

Tom

I'm fairly sure Windows can handle two touch-screen enabled displays at once. Okay, you may have some trouble with drivers, you'll probably need a generic from the graphics card's chip maker rather than the gamer-optimised that's bundled...

I've no idea how you'd go about 'rolling your own' but it comes down to mapping the two small displays as one larger 'virtual'.

thanks again guys and will do tom

1. How do 2 touchscreens work on one computer?

Two touchscreens can function on one computer by connecting both screens to the computer's graphics card and installing the necessary drivers. This allows the computer to recognize both screens as separate input devices.

2. Can I use different types of touchscreens on one computer?

Yes, as long as the computer has the necessary ports and the touchscreens are compatible with the operating system, different types of touchscreens can be used on one computer.

3. Can I use both touchscreens simultaneously?

Yes, both touchscreens can be used simultaneously as long as the computer's operating system and software support multi-touch input.

4. How do I calibrate the touchscreens?

To calibrate the touchscreens, go to the computer's control panel and select the "Tablet PC Settings" option. From there, follow the instructions to calibrate the touchscreens for accurate input.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using 2 touchscreens on one computer?

One limitation could be the physical space available for the touchscreens, as having two screens may take up more desk space. Additionally, some software may not be optimized for multi-touch input, which could limit the functionality of the touchscreens.