1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 tough questions

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    I need help with these two questions:
    1. A particle of mass 'm' and charge '-q' moves in a circular radius 'R' about a fixed charge 'Q.' The angular frequency for the orbit is given by
    w0^2=q*Q/(4*pi*e0*m*R^3).
    A uniform magnetic field of magnitude B is in the direction perpendicular to the plane of the orbit is turned on. As a result, the angular frequency is changed to w0+dw. Assuming that B is sufficiently small so that product of B and dw can be neglected, calculate dw.

2. An electric motor consists of a current-carrying wire loop in a constant magnetic field B. The field produces a torque that tends to rotate the loop so that the loop's magnetic dipole, u and B become aligned. When that happens, a split-ring commutator reverses the current direction, so that u changes its orientation by 180 degrees, and the torque acts to continue the rotation. Suppose that u and B start out almost antiparallel. Plot the magnitude of torque as a function of the angle between u and B, as this angle runs from -pi to 0. At 0 degrees, the commutator reverses the current. Plot the torque through another half turn. What is the average value of the torque through a full turn if the current in the motor is 6.2 A, the magnitude of B is 0.45 T, and the area of the loop is 54 cm^2?

Ok...for the plotting of the magnitude of the torque, I think it would be much like that of a sine graph, with the -180 and 0 and 180 all at zero and at -45 and 45 degrees at a maximum value. I am not sure how to find the average torque, but I know that the torque value is between 0, when anitparallel and parallel, and 0.0015 N/m. How would I find the average?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted