1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 var critical point questions

1. Dec 18, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have few questions about extrema of fonctions of two variables. It is written in my textbook: "At a local maximum, the gradient vector must be nul or undefined. A similar reasoning shows that the gradient must be nul at a local minimum." Actually there was no preceeding reasoning to this statement so I don't understand.

- Why couldn't the gradient vector be undefined at the min?

- If one of the partial derivative is undefined at a certain point, does it automatically means the point is a max? If no, how do you tell analytically?

- If (a,b) is a critical point because the gradient at (a,b) is 0 and if the test of the second order partial derivative fails (i.e. =0). How can I conclude analytically to the nature of the critial point?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The author has been sloppy!
    - Why couldn't the gradient vector be undefined at the min?
    It certainly can be!

4. Dec 18, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, then I will rewrite question #2:

- If one of the partial derivatives is undefined at a certain point, how do I conclude analytically to the nature of the critical point?

- Could it be that a derivative in a direction other than the x or y axis is undefined while it is defined in the direction of the x and y axis? In this case wouldn't the method of analysis of the partial derivatives fail to detect the critical point?

5. Dec 18, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that the definition of optima don't involve derivatives at all -- when differential techniques fail, you often have to resort to the definitions to get your answers.

6. Dec 18, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And, I would think, some functions might be perverse enough to refuse yielding up where its extrema are, despite our best efforts..

7. Dec 18, 2004 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even worse, there are functions that don't even have local extrema!

example: (here, p and q are relatively prime)

f(x) = 0 if x is irrational
    f(p/q) = 1 - 1/q if q is even
    f(p/q) = -1 + 1/q if q is odd

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?