1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 variables!

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    I have to say, Physics has been going well for me. But he assigned a problem in preparation for a test. Well needless to say, I am not sure where to begin! I was hoping somebody could at least point me in the right direction.

A baseball is hit for a home run, it travels 138m. It just clears a 6.5m wall when it lands, where it is caught by a lucky fan. So the ball essentially starts off at point (0,0), and ends at (138,6.5).
    It is hit at a 40 degree angle. Calculate initial velocity and total flight time.

I know it must be possible. Because only at one velocity at 40degrees will the ball actually go 138m. Like if it was hit at 1m/s, obviously it would not go the full 138. It's finding this balance point. My thought was to first find velocity, THEN find time. If only i knew how

I've got a few ideas brewing upstairs, but ugh.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Step 1: present your work, and we will be glad to help you. :smile: (Hint: write down the equations of velocity and position of the ball.)
  4. Sep 26, 2006 #3
    I am stuck because, well I want to break it down into two vectors. So say I use X1=X0+V0t+1/2at^2

For one vector, the j vector because it has acceleration. I don't know time or initial velocity, I don't understand how I find what I need to find.
    So 6.5=0 + Vot + -4.905t^2

I would think I need initial velocity to calculate this.
  5. Sep 26, 2006 #4
  6. Sep 27, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Well, you just have to solve a system of two equations with two unknowns, which are the initial velocity and the total 'flight time'. The equation of motion for the x-direction is x(t) = v0*cosA*t , and for the y-position y(t) = v0*sinA*t - 1/2*g*t^2. (A is, of course, the angle of the initial velocity.) Now, since you know the x and y coordinate at the end of the 'flight', just plug them in and solve the system of equations.
  7. Sep 27, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

The parabolic equation for a projectile is of the form

[tex]y = Ax - Bx^2[/tex]

[tex]A = \tan(\theta _o)[/tex]

[tex]B = \frac{g}{2(v_o \cos(\theta _o))^2}[/tex]

Another solution:
    Shoot the monkey - d is the distance the poor creature drops through before encountering the projectile. h the height at which the monkey is shot: 6.5 meter. Then

[tex]\tan(\theta _o) = \frac{d+h}{138}[/tex]

the rest is easy .... or is it? I do get the feeling that this is the appoach your teacher expects from you.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?