1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 vector problems(am i doing them right)

1. Apr 20, 2004 #1
    1. Write out the vector V=2i+3j at the point (x,y) = (1,2) in terms of the unit vectors in plane polar coordinates. Do this again for the same vector at the origin. Are your results different? Why?

Answer:
    From my notes, I see that x,y = (r, theta) and x=r cos theta, y=r sin theta.
    So, for (1,2) the vector is 2 cos 2 i + 3 sin 2 j

At the origin, (0,0), the vector is zero. Am I on the right track?

2.Find the gradient of the function phi(x,y)=2x^2y at the point (x,y)=(1,2), in plane polar coordinates.

Answer:

The gradient is 4xyi+2x^2j. At (1,2) it's 8i+2j. How would I put it in plane polar cooridnates? Would the answer be (8 cos 2) i + (2 sin 2) j?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2004 #2
    r means the distance from origin to the end point of the vector. Theta is the angle between x-axis ant the straight line from (0,0) to the end point. So, when you have a notation in polar coordinates (r, theta) you can convert it to cartesian calculating x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta). But when you turn from cartesian to polar, it will go like this: r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) and theta = arctan(x/y)
    The first problem goes like this: vector 2i+3j at the point (1,2) (if i understood right)has its end point at (3,5), so r=sqrt(34) and theta=arctan(3/5).
    The same vector at the origin has its end point at (2,3)

4. Apr 20, 2004 #3
    question

How did you get the endpoint (3,5)? How would I right the sqrt(34) and arctan(3/5) as a vector? Did I do #2 right?

5. Apr 21, 2004 #4
    if I understand right "a vector at a point" means that we take the point and let the vector start from it. So if a vector 2i + 3j starts from point (1,2), thet its endpoint will be at (1+2,2+3)=(3,5).I made a picture, so you will understand what i mean. When you write a vector in polar coordinates you write just (r, theta), where in your case r=sqrt(34)~5.83 and theta=arctan(3/5)=0.54, so in polar coordinates : (sqrt(34), arctan(3/5))~(5.83, 0.54).
    #2 you should do the same way. It's right until you convert cartesian to polar.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?