How long does it take for the car to catch up to the truck on a straight track?

In summary, the car and truck start at rest on a straight track with the car 25.0 m behind the truck. The truck accelerates at 3.70 m/s^2 and the car accelerates at 4.40 m/s^2. After solving for the time it takes for the car to catch up to the truck, it is found that the displacement of the car is equal to the displacement of the truck plus 25.0 m.
Bry2323
A truck and a car both start from rest at the same time on a straight track. The car is 25.0 m behind the truck at the start. The truck accelerates at 3.70 m/s^2 and the car accelerates at 4.40 m/s^2. How long does it take for the car to catch up to the truck?

Hey all, first post, didn't think it'd be so quick in this college physics class! Can someone help me figure this out...I have an idea that displacement of truck should equal the car plus 25.0 m right? Just having trouble getting there. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bry2323 said:
A truck and a car both start from rest at the same time on a straight track. The car is 25.0 m behind the truck at the start. The truck accelerates at 3.70 m/s^2 and the car accelerates at 4.40 m/s^2. How long does it take for the car to catch up to the truck?

Hey all, first post, didn't think it'd be so quick in this college physics class! Can someone help me figure this out...I have an idea that displacement of truck should equal the car plus 25.0 m right? Just having trouble getting there. Thank you!
Please don't delete the template. It's there to be filled in. What relevant equations do you know? Please show some attempt.

Sorry, didn't realize that until i searched around a little more.

So far I have displacement of truck equals 1/2a x t^2 = 1.85 m/s^2(t^2)
I am thinking displacement of car = displacement of truck + 25.0 m = 1/2at^2

I am left with 1.85 m/s^2(t^2) = 2.20 m/s^2(t^2) + 25.0 m?? This is where I am so very lost.

Thank you again.

Bry2323 said:
displacement of car = displacement of truck + 25.0 m
Which starts in front? What are the two displacements at t=0?

The truck starts in front. The displacement for the car is 0m and truck is 25m?

Bry2323 said:
The truck starts in front. The displacement for the car is 0m and truck is 25m?
Right, so what is your equation now?

I'm not sure, are you pointing out that displacement of truck should be displacement of car + 25.0 m?

Bry2323 said:
I'm not sure, are you pointing out that displacement of truck should be displacement of car + 25.0 m?
Yes. What you had before gives the wrong result at t=0.

I think I had it correct underneath that? I really don't know how to simplify that last line if that is the correct formula

Bry2323 said:
I think I had it correct underneath that? I really don't know how to simplify that last line if that is the correct formula
Your formula has the form At2+B=Ct2. Can you not see how to simplify that?

I really can't, is that a quadratic? It's been awhile since I have been in Algebra.

ok I think i got it but I think I've done way too many steps

2.20 m/s^2(t^2) +25.0m = 1.85 m/s ^s (t^2)

.35 m/s^2(t^2) +25.0m = 0

.35(t^2) = -25.0s^2

t^2 = -71.43 s^2

t= 8.45 s

Bry2323 said:
I think I had it correct underneath that?
No, you didn't. You had
Bry2323 said:
1.85 m/s^2(t^2) = 2.20 m/s^2(t^2) + 25.0 m
The left hand side has the truck's acceleration, so presumably represents the truck's displacement. So your equation says displacement of truck = displacement of car + 25m.
This is why you get an impossibility here:
Bry2323 said:
t^2 = -71.43 s^2
t2 cannot be negative. It is not valid simply to ignore the minus sign because it's inconvenient. In the present case, ignoring it does happen to give the right answer, because the minus sign should not have been there in the first place.

Ok well how do i move the 25.0 m to the right side without it being negative?

Bry2323 said:
Ok well how do i move the 25.0 m to the right side without it being negative?
This equation is wrong:
Bry2323 said:
1.85 m/s^2(t^2) = 2.20 m/s^2(t^2) + 25.0 m
It does not correspond to your (correct) observation that "displacement of car = displacement of truck + 25.0 m". It has reversed it.
Correct the equation and the minus sign will go away.

ok perfect thank you, so what exactly am i saying when i say the displacement of car = displacement of truck +25.0 m, my brain is fried after today but I am having trouble understanding the theory behind it in lamens terms, my mind is wanting to think its the car +25 to make up for the deficit at the beginning but i know that's not right.

Bry2323 said:
what exactly am i saying when i say the displacement of car = displacement of truck +25.0 m
First, you need to make clear what you mean by that. It is correct if you mean their final displacements from their respective starting positions.
For each, its displacement from its starting position at time t is acceleration*t2/2.
So you have:
displacementcar = displacementtruck+25m
accelerationcar*t2/2 = accelerationtruck*t2/2+25m

I think I am confusing myselfs because I am thinking the only way the addition of 25m would need to be added was if the accelerations were the same, not sure why i can't grasp the idea, think I am just burnt out

Bry2323 said:
I think I am confusing myselfs because I am thinking the only way the addition of 25m would need to be added was if the accelerations were the same, not sure why i can't grasp the idea, think I am just burnt out
I think your confusion comes from not being clear in what you meant by displacement in "displacement of car = displacement of truck + 25.0 m".
If it means their respective displacements from their respective starting positions when they meet, it is true. If it means respective displacements from a common origin when they start, it is backwards.

Ok, I'll take a break and think it over, just trying to make sure I truly understand everything, you've been a big help, cheers!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in a particular direction. Velocity also takes into account the object's direction of motion.

3. How is acceleration calculated in kinematics?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Can two vehicles have the same speed but different velocities?

Yes, two vehicles can have the same speed but different velocities if they are traveling in different directions. For example, a car traveling north at 60 mph and a car traveling south at 60 mph have the same speed but different velocities.

5. How does the motion of two vehicles in kinematics differ from a single vehicle?

The motion of two vehicles in kinematics involves the analysis of the relative motion between the two vehicles, while the motion of a single vehicle only considers its own motion. This means that the velocities and accelerations of the two vehicles will affect each other in the case of two vehicles, while in the case of a single vehicle, only the object's own velocity and acceleration are considered.