Expressing the Solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 as a + log2b: Complex Numbers

• Thread starter musicmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Log
In summary, the solution to the equation 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 can be expressed in the form of a+log2b, where a and b are complex numbers. After solving the quadratic equation, it was found that the possible values for 2^x are 3/4 and -1/2. In order to put x into the log form, the logarithm base 2 of both sides of the equation can be taken.
musicmar

Homework Statement

The solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 can be expressed in the form of: a + log2b where a, b belong to the set of complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

(2^3)(2^x)^2 = 2^(x+1) + 3

[8((2^x)^2)] - [2(2^x)] - 3 = 0

Solving the above quadratic for 2^x, I found that 2^x = 3/4 and -1/2. I can solve for x, but for simplicity's sake, I haven't yet.

From here, I need to put x into the above log form.

Physics news on Phys.org
musicmar said:

Homework Statement

The solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 can be expressed in the form of: a + log2b where a, b belong to the set of complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

(2^3)(2^x)^2 = 2^(x+1) + 3

[8((2^x)^2)] - [2(2^x)] - 3 = 0

Solving the above quadratic for 2^x, I found that 2^x = 3/4 and -1/2. I can solve for x, but for simplicity's sake, I haven't yet.

From here, I need to put x into the above log form.

Looks good so far, but unless x is allowed to be a complex number, you can throw one of these solutions away...which one?:wink:

In order to get 'x' into the log form, just take log base 2 of both sides of your equation for 2^x... [itex]\log_2(2^x)=x[/itex]

1. What is the equation for expressing the solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 as a + log2b?

The equation for expressing the solution of 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3 as a + log2b is:
a = x + 1
b = 2^(x+1) + 3

2. How do you solve for x in the equation 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3?

To solve for x in the equation 2^(2x+3) = 2^(x+1) + 3, we first need to simplify the equation by using the property of logarithms:
log a^b = b * log a
Applying this property, we get:
(2x+3) * log 2 = (x+1) * log 2 + log 3
Next, we can combine the logarithms on the right side:
2x * log 2 + 3 * log 2 = x * log 2 + log 3
Simplifying further, we get:
x * log 2 = log 3 - 3 * log 2
Finally, we can solve for x by dividing both sides by log 2 and then simplifying:
x = (log 3 - 3 * log 2) / log 2
This can be further simplified to:
x = log2(3/8)

3. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1). These numbers are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components, and they are essential in solving equations and problems in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics.

4. What is the relationship between complex numbers and logarithms?

There is a close relationship between complex numbers and logarithms, as logarithms can be used to solve equations involving complex numbers. The natural logarithm of a complex number z is defined as ln(z) = ln|z| + i*arg(z), where |z| is the absolute value of z and arg(z) is its argument (angle in the complex plane). Additionally, the properties of logarithms, such as the power and product rules, can be applied to complex numbers to simplify equations and find solutions.

5. Why is it useful to express the solution of an equation as a + log2b?

Expressing the solution of an equation as a + log2b can be useful for a few reasons. First, it can simplify the solution and make it easier to work with. Additionally, it allows us to use the properties of logarithms to further simplify the equation. It can also help us to better understand the relationship between the variables in the equation and how they affect the solution. Finally, expressing the solution as a + log2b can also provide insight into the behavior and properties of complex numbers and logarithms.