2 years later, and bin Laden is winning

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bin Years
In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of the war on terror and how the terrorists may be gaining the upper hand. The leader of the terrorists, Bin Laden, is still at large and causing destruction and fear. The conversation also mentions how the US has been impacted by the attacks and the actions taken by the government, such as attacking the Middle East and violating personal freedoms. The conversation also brings up the fact that world opinion has turned against the US and that even celebrities, like Tommy Chong, have been affected by the aftermath of 9/11. Lastly, the conversation touches on the topic of understanding Islam and whether it is necessary or more important to focus on fighting it.
Zero
...what a disappointment, the terrorists are winning the war on terror, every day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Winning what? I haven't heard of him coming forward to claim his prize.

nor have I. How are they winning. Their leader is out there but he is nearly powerless...most of his forces destroyed. I don't see how they are winning.

Perhaps what is meant is the changes that have been going on since 9/11.

For instance, it is more difficult for an honest person to fly nowadays. Homeland Security will soon be cracking down on personal freedom and privacy, probably has been.

Also, seems one of Bin Ladens goals was to get attention. For himself, AL Queada and Islam in general. Following the attacks, you'll notice several schools picked up an Islamic class.

And not to mention that terror acts around the world seem to be increasing each day.

We're speanding countless dollars to capture the terrorist ring leaders, when almost certainly there will be plenty of replacements should they be needed. Instead of eliminating the source of the problems (paving over the holy land) we are merely attacking the effects. Kinda like chasing our tails.

The biggest decline in terrorism is in...South America? America has started a campaign to attack the Middle East, with Iran and Syria next on the list? Iraqis are worse off than they were a year ago, and subject to the same terror as they were under Saddam Hussien? America is feared and hated around the world? America is going into debt while freedom is threatened by the Bush Administration?

Yep, sounds like more than what the terrorists could ever have hoped for.:frown:

Greetings !

I agree it's quite strange, to say the least, that Bin
Laden is still at large. I mean, you'd think that once
the US is really after someone with it's huge resources and
immensly advanced capabilities on all fronts they'd get'im
in two years.

As for the part about learning Islam to "understand" it, it's
TOTAL BS and it can only cause more damage. There is
nothing to understand about Islam for a normal person, there
are just ways to fight it.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

I agree it's quite strange, to say the least, that Bin
Laden is still at large. I mean, you'd think that once
the US is really after someone with it's huge resources and
immensly advanced capabilities on all fronts they'd get'im
in two years.

As for the part about learning Islam to "understand" it, it's
TOTAL BS and it can only cause more damage. There is

Live long and prosper.
Next post like this, and I'm contacting Greg to see about banning you. Good luck.

...There is
*shudders*

Originally posted by russ_watters
Winning what? I haven't heard of him coming forward to claim his prize.

Well, let's see. He's destroyed the WTC. That's pretty significant. He's got a large percentage of the american population living in fear. The whole world is turning against us, although that's more Bush's ineptitude, than bin Laden's accomplishment. He's tricked us into attack Iraq and desposing Saddam, one of his mortal enemies, thereby greatly tieing up american military resources that could have been used elsewhere. Although again, that's mostly Bush's ineptitude. He's gained thousands to millions of new supporters, now that we've screwed up. He probably is as happy as a clam?

What have we got? Our constitution has been raped. We've got history's biggest deficit. World opinion was solidly with us two years ago, that's gone. Oh, and now Tommy Chong is in prison.

God Bless, America.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
Well, let's see. He's destroyed the WTC. That's pretty significant. He's got a large percentage of the american population living in fear. The whole world is turning against us, although that's more Bush's ineptitude, than bin Laden's accomplishment. He's tricked us into attack Iraq and desposing Saddam, one of his mortal enemies, thereby greatly tieing up american military resources that could have been used elsewhere. Although again, that's mostly Bush's ineptitude. He's gained thousands to millions of new supporters, now that we've screwed up. He probably is as happy as a clam?

What have we got? Our constitution has been raped. We've got history's biggest deficit. World opinion was solidly with us two years ago, that's gone. Oh, and now Tommy Chong is in prison.

God Bless, America.
Ironic, isn't it, that Bush is the biggest tool of the terrorists?

Originally posted by Zero
Ironic, isn't it, that Bush is the biggest tool of the terrorists?

I wouldn't really say ironic. 9-11 was the best thing George Bush has going for him.

I wouldn't really say ironic. 9-11 was the best thing George Bush has going for him.
"Best" or "only"?

Oh, and now Tommy Chong is in prison.

What? Tommy Chong is in jail? What for?

Originally posted by megashawn
What? Tommy Chong is in jail? What for?

For helping terrorists. Tommy Chong is co-owner, and is front man for a company which sold bongs over the internet. So Ashkroft and the SS are hauling him off the a concent... uh... federal prison for nine months.

First they came for the jews, and I said nothing...

What in the world does selling bongs have to do with helping terrorists? Was the money being used to help fund terrorist activitys? If yes, then I can understand him being in jail.

You are of course talking about tommy chong of cheech and chong fame correct?

I could see bong saling as helpful to terrorism as gasoline.

TOTAL BS and it can only cause more damage. There is nothing to understand about Islam for a normal person, there are just ways to fight it

Next post like this, and I'm contacting Greg to see about banning you. Good luck.

speaking of free speech...

Originally posted by Mattius_
speaking of free speech...
That concept does not apply to an internet bulletin board.

Zero, if drag had been talking about Branch Davidians instead of Muslims, would you have responded the same way? Why is it ok to condemn one religion and not another? What makes one a viable religion and another a cult? Is it simply the number of people who practice it?

I sincerely tried to keep an open mind about Islam. I used to believe that it couldn't possibly be bad - it just must be perverted by a few extremists. You may even be able to go back through my posts in the forum and see where I started to read the Koran and change my opinion. The Koran is a violent, mysoginistic, hateful, racist writing. What we call "extremists" are not extremists, they are the norm. The majority.

I believe that Islam has caught on so well in the middle east because they are destitude. Fat rich people don't complain, don't get bitter, and don't hate. When you are poor and hungry you are willing to latch on to a scapegoat. Hitler did it and it worked quite well.

I do not take this opinion lightly - I have thought through its implications as I believe drag has. Neither of us are the reactionary type. If you want to censure it because its unpopular, that's your perogative. Maybe that's easier than considering its validity.

Originally posted by megashawn
What in the world does selling bongs have to do with helping terrorists? Was the money being used to help fund terrorist activitys? If yes, then I can understand him being in jail.

You are of course talking about tommy chong of cheech and chong fame correct?

I could see bong saling as helpful to terrorism as gasoline.

The 9-11 terrorist were muslim, there are muslims in afghanistan. Opium come from Afghanistan. Opium is a drug. Marijuana is a drug. Drug users use bongs to smoke marijuana. Tommy Chong sells bongs.

Ergo- Tommy Chong supports terrorists and hates america.

John Ashkroft told me.

Zero, if drag had been talking about Branch Davidians instead of Muslims, would you have responded the same way? Why is it ok to condemn one religion and not another? What makes one a viable religion and another a cult? Is it simply the number of people who practice it?

I sincerely tried to keep an open mind about Islam. I used to believe that it couldn't possibly be bad - it just must be perverted by a few extremists. You may even be able to go back through my posts in the forum and see where I started to read the Koran and change my opinion. The Koran is a violent, mysoginistic, hateful, racist writing. What we call "extremists" are not extremists, they are the norm. The majority.

I believe that Islam has caught on so well in the middle east because they are destitude. Fat rich people don't complain, don't get bitter, and don't hate. When you are poor and hungry you are willing to latch on to a scapegoat. Hitler did it and it worked quite well.

I do not take this opinion lightly - I have thought through its implications as I believe drag has. Neither of us are the reactionary type. If you want to censure it because its unpopular, that's your perogative. Maybe that's easier than considering its validity.

The Branch Davidians killed cops and raped little girls. All of them, right there complicitly. They could have surrendered, and they would have gotten a trial with full due process. Nobody hates them because of their cultism, but because they kill cops and rape little girls.

Islam, on the other hand has hundreds of millions of worshippers here in america and abroad. 99.99 percent of them have never done anything wrong to anybody.

Furthermore, the Koran is no more racist, violent, misogynistic, or racist than the Bible. And christianity has sparked just as much murder and terrorism as Islam, Northern Ireland and the KKK are just two example. Really, there's very little difference between the religions, or there followers.

Also, the Middle East is hardly destitute. The countries that we haven't sanctioned and bombed into submission are so rich that they have to import blue collar workers. Osama bin Laden has millions.

So, it seems, you've just biased yourself against hundreds of millions of human beings based on the action of nineteen. You say you've studied the Koran, criticize it while ignoring the teaching and actions of religions, shall we say, closer to home.

No, Russ. I don't think you've come to this decision lightly. More likely it comes from deep-seated, possibly childhood, fear, hate, and ignorant bigotry towards people different than yourself.

Greetings !

I feel that perhaps some of you did not understand
what I mean to say (for example Zero told me I threaten
violence against 1/5 of humanity). The fact that some
people actually see my words like that, in my opinion,
is already a partial indication of how people's minds
can get twisted today. In no way do I support violence
against people of any religion or belief. The only people
I support violence against (and preferably the effective type)
are those who act on those beliefs and try to.

To speak of violence is to make us the same as them.
It means that we hate the people and want them dead
because of that. THAT IS WRONG ! Hate is wrong and
killing is wrong !

The type of struggle that I'm talking about is an
ideological struggle. A struggle between the ideals
and morals formed in the western world and solidified in the
past half a century and those formed in the Islamic world
mainly in the past half a century. Instead of "values" of hate,
murder of the infidels and laying blame for your own
low level of life on others, "values" dictated by the
religous laws of the sharia, "values" that do not support
the tiniest level of equality between males and females,
"values" that preach for a total Islamic world and "values"
that view technological and scientific progress as unwanted:
Instead of these values these people must be educated according
to the modern values of freedom, equality, progress and respect.
Inclusion not seclusion is the way of free societies.

The Soviets or the Chineese or the Cubans did not engage in
senseless murder or hate towards other peoples even if they
did use force to rule. They shared some of these values and
they respected and accepted the other sides as human beings
living on the same planet, though having completely different approaches as to how to achieve the modern utopia.

But these people are not taught these things, they are taught
to hate the people not just their ideas. They are taught
blind obidience to their faith - the "will" of which
originates from their leaders - wheather religious or
political.

It is easy to believe in certain idealised perspectives
when you're born and live in the western world. But it
is surprising how simple it is - through lifelong education
and ideology preachings to have a totally different world view.
The kind of view that the Nazis educated their youngsters to
in just a decade, due to which they were not bothered with
the intentional mass murder of helpless people that did
not "belong" to their "race".

It is this flow of poison that we must stop through different -
western ideology, through financial and political pressure and manipulation against these regimes and presecution of
religious leaders/educators and preachers and finally through
the occasional - as limmited as possible, international
military action in specific cases against specific people
who pose a real and present danger.

The war on the infiltration of western ideals into Muslim
countries had begun there a long time ago, fueled by the
cold war machinations of the USSR, US and Europe.
It is time to start a serious counter attack - a counter
attack of the ideals we believe in and follow and live
according to, ideals that work to advance humanity
rather than plunge it back into the dark ages.

Peace and long life.

Last edited:
I feel that perhaps some of you did not understand
what I mean to say (for example Zero told me I threaten
violence against 1/5 of humanity). The fact that some
people actually see my words like that, in my opinion,
is already a partial indication of how people's minds
can get twisted today.
Hello Drag,
I don't believe that it's a matter of people's minds getting twisted as much as simply taking your words at face value;
…There is
If you did not mean violence perhaps you shouldn’t have chose to use the word “fight”, or at least have expounded on what you meant by that word. You didn’t speak of fanatical, fundamentalist, foaming at the mouth, factions, instead you painted, with a very broad stroke, all of Islam as needing to be fought. I find that especially curious after your comments in another thread Re;
Every religion that ever came out of the middle east has been a cancer on society.
You posted that;
…Abviously, historical issues aspecialy
something as huge and as fundumental an issue as this one can not
be oversimplified into such a singular point of view.
I think it is fair to say you are oversimplifying when you speak of Islam not needing to be understood, but only needing to be fought.
Now, back to the threatening violence thing, looking at what you posted in another thread…;
Church of Satan ? Yeah... I know this one. It's called
modern Islam - and there is only one way to stop it:
The hard way...

Asta la Vista, baby !
…I think that the “Asta la Vista, baby!” sounds like a reference to the Terminator, which would justifiably be interpreted as a call to kill what in this case you termed “modern Islam”.

…In no way do I support violence
against people of any religion or belief. The only people
I support violence against (and preferably the effective type)
are those who act on those beliefs and try to.
I’m glad to hear you say this.

Nineteen ?
Yep, I'd say someone has some learning to do, not Russ though.
As for actions, actions are limmited by reality, intentions
are not - do some studies and see what the intentions are -
not of the above many many phousands (instead of nineteen)
but of the majority.

It's called Islamutopia.

Live long and prosper.

And what are these intentions of the majority of muslims? Hmm? Invade our countries, kill our leaders and preachers, convert us to their religion?

Isn't that what you just advocated doing to them?

Sounds like you've got a serious case of "Holier than thou" mixed in with and healthy dose of Us vs. Them.

And if you switch US vs. Them, basically you're saying the exact same thing that Osama bin Laden says.

Two things: if he had said 'Militant Muslim extremists', I wouldn't have said a word, because that is an accurate description. If he had said 'Christians' or 'Jews' I would have jumped on him just as hard. I wouldn't tolerate, for instance, someone saying that all Catholics are child molesters because some priests are. See my reasoning?
And, of course, if you look back at the Old Testament, you see plenty of violent mysoginistic, genocidal ideas too. No religion is immune to that criticism, to my knowledge.

No, Russ. I don't think you've come to this decision lightly. More likely it comes from deep-seated, possibly childhood, fear, hate, and ignorant bigotry towards people different than yourself.
And, I think we can seriously try to limit comments like this as well.

I humbly, and respectfully disagree. If one makes a bigoted comment, it's within everybody's best interest to point out that said comments are indeed bigotted, thoughtless, and morally bankrupt. Often bigots are such without realizing it, and IMHO, this should be pointed out both for the sake of the person who said it, and any number of people who could be offended by it. Of course, we shouldn't resort to personal attacks. Needless to say, everybody should be highly offended by racist, sexist, homophobic etc. remarks, but by resorting to childish name calling only ostracizes the bigot. And is, of course, against forums rules.

I humbly, and respectfully disagree. If one makes a bigoted comment, it's within everybody's best interest to point out thatsaid comments are indeed bigotted, thoughtless, and morally bankrupt.
Keep your comments on what people say, then, and not direct your criticism towards them...its a fine line.

The 9-11 terrorist were muslim, there are muslims in afghanistan. Opium come from Afghanistan. Opium is a drug. Marijuana is a drug. Drug users use bongs to smoke marijuana. Tommy Chong sells bongs.

Ergo- Tommy Chong supports terrorists and hates america.

John Ashkroft told me.

Heh, they were muslim alright, and they learned to fly in american schools and practiced there attacks one MS Flight Simulator. Bill Gates produces and distributes this game, so he is a terrorist.

Also, Opium has been in use for quite some time. Much longer then people have been going to Afganistan to get it. And what in the heck does marijuana have to do with opium, a relative of herion?

Most the marijuana I've known of comes from mexico or Billy bobs back yard. Should we now declare war on Mexico and all the Billy bobs across the SE?

I kinda sense some sarcasm in your reply, but I may be wrong. Honestly, I'd hope you don't truly believe such a shallow statement.

I read a few storys about Chong, and the arrest, and none of them mentioned anything about terrorism. I'm also wondering why he's been arrested, but all the local head shops are still in full operation?

Oh ya, another victory for BL, gas prices seem to be on a steady rise, in which I'm sure he somehow benefits.

The Branch Davidians killed cops and raped little girls. All of them, right there complicitly. They could have surrendered, and they would have gotten a trial with full due process. Nobody hates them because of their cultism, but because they kill cops and rape little girls.
Killing cops and raping little girls was what made them a cult. They did those things BECAUSE they were a cult. How is that different than the murders comitted by members of organizations that are part of the MAINSTREAM of Islam?
Read my past posts on this board on this subject. I came to this opinion recently as a result of reading the Koran. It is a shocking read. Virtually EVERY chapter talks about violence toward non-believers.
If he had said 'Christians' or 'Jews' I would have jumped on him just as hard. I wouldn't tolerate, for instance, someone saying that all Catholics are child molesters because some priests are. See my reasoning?
Yes, but it hasn't worked that way. Just take a quick look at the Christianity bashing in the religion forum. I don't mind criticism of Christianity, but there must be some consistency: no religion should be above criticism.
I realize its against the TOS but it doesn't bother me to have people try to analyze me like that.
Keep your comments on what people say, then, and not direct your criticism towards them...its a fine line.
There is no line. If a statement a person makes is bigoted, that makes the person a bigot. Yeah, maybe it sounds nicer to comment on the statement and not the person, but the meaning is identical.

In any case, this is the politics forum - a discussion on the merits of a particular religion is something for the religion forum where hopefully (yeah, right) the debate can be more objective.

Killing cops and raping little girls was what made them a cult. They did those things BECAUSE they were a cult. How is that different than the murders comitted by members of organizations that are part of the MAINSTREAM of Islam? Read my past posts on this board on this subject. I came to this opinion recently as a result of reading the Koran. It is a shocking read. Virtually EVERY chapter talks about violence toward non-believers. Yes, but it hasn't worked that way. Just take a quick look at the Christianity bashing in the religion forum. I don't mind criticism of Christianity, but there must be some consistency: no religion should be above criticism. I realize its against the TOS but it doesn't bother me to have people try to analyze me like that. There is no line. If a statement a person makes is bigoted, that makes the person a bigot. Yeah, maybe it sounds nicer to comment on the statement and not the person, but the meaning is identical.

In any case, this is the politics forum - a discussion on the merits of a particular religion is something for the religion forum where hopefully (yeah, right) the debate can be more objective.

Good luck with that...I think all religions are poisonous. Does that make me objective?

Newt Gingrich has said that people hate Bush because 1) he's from Texas and 2) they don't like the way he looks. Oh, NOT because he botched the war on terror?
Bin Laden "won" on 9-11-01, since our cold-war tactics against a guerilla war fighting enemy haven't worked to stop his attacks.
Now we humiliate and get humiliated in Iraq. Did it work? Are Arabs trembling in fear. Or are Americans now full of fear?

Oh, and every time some moron says 'all Muslims are evil', bin Laden gets a point.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Newt Gingrich has said that people hate Bush because 1) he's from Texas and 2) they don't like the way he looks. Oh, NOT because he botched the war on terror?
Bin Laden "won" on 9-11-01, since our cold-war tactics against a guerilla war fighting enemy haven't worked to stop his attacks.
Now we humiliate and get humiliated in Iraq. Did it work? Are Arabs trembling in fear. Or are Americans now full of fear?
Well, that is the idiot Republican stance for you...make up retarded reasons for the behaviour of your opponents. 'Terrorists hate our freedoms' is another brown nuggest of Republican wisdom that manages to be wrong on several levels.

Good luck with that...I think all religions are poisonous. Does that make me objective?
If you can defend it with facts and logic. I realize its a can of worms you'd rather not open - and I've tended to avoid the religion forum as well.

If you can defend it with facts and logic. I realize its a can of worms you'd rather not open - and I've tended to avoid the religion forum as well.
Not in this thread...I'd rather discuss in greater detail things like the notion that a 'war on terror' can only have one solution...victory for the terrorists.

Well, I think it was a track on Crazy Town's cd:

"Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity"

Bold edited for the all the innocent eyes roaming.

But I can totally agree with that. How is dropping bombs and such on an area suspected of housing terrorists going to help anything.

I mean, you drop a bomb. Now you have a big pile of rubble, bodies, etc. How many times have we been certain they killed Saddam, or Bin Laden?

How could they identify that the people killed were the terrorist they pursue? And not to mention the death of innocent victims, such as peoples fathers, brothers, sisters, etc, will only bring about more hatred towards the US. I mean, one man with a lot of money and enough contacts wreaked a lot of havoc in the US 2 years ago. It doesn't take a massive army to destroy a city nowadays. All it takes is one person pushed on the edge.

And also try to put yourself in the position of one of the civilians living in say, Afganistan. Do these attacks coming from everywhere seem like a war on terror? Or terror itself?

Personally, I think more attention should be focused on defense. The simple fact that less then 20 people could cause the damage they did should really tell us something. And instead of improving these weaknesses, we start pumping billions over seas.