200,000 PF Members Challenge

In summary: April 20th, 3:14:16 EDT.April 20th, 6:10 GMT.April 18th, 3 PM.April 18th, 2 PM.So far the consensus seems to be April 18th, so that's my guess as well.In summary, the date and time of when the forum will hit 200,000 members is still up for debate among members, but the current consensus seems to be April 18th, with varying times including 3:14:16 EDT, 6:10 GMT, 3 PM, and 2 PM. Some members have also suggested the possibility of April 20th, April 22nd, May 14th
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right now we show that we have 197,293 PFers. Do we have any guesses as to the date and time that we hit the 200,000 mark?

Physics news on Phys.org
The day that we hit 200,000 members will be the day we hit 200,000 members :smile:

Really though that's quite a lot of members for a science homework forum :tongue:. How fast is it growing that should allow us to better guess. Or would that be cheating?

I can tell you that we often see 200 new members per day, somtimes 300 [or nearly so], but it can vary quite a bit.

Last edited:
Wow.

Speaking of records: hey Ivan, did you get a special badge or gold star when you hit 10,000 posts? Should I prepare a speech?

DaveC426913 said:
Wow.

Speaking of records: hey Ivan, did you get a special badge or gold star when you hit 10,000 posts?

Do you mean beyond the $10,000 that Greg sent me? Nope.

Should I prepare a speech?

Yes, but only because it is always good to have a speech ready.

Correction: Greg sent a bill for $10,000, not a check. My mistake.

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you mean beyond the $10,000 that Greg sent me? Nope.

Yeah but you had to give it back once you reached the 10,001 post fine.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah but you had to give it back once you reached the 10,001 post fine.

Oh yeah, that was it.

I'm guessing April 18th in the afternoon.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, this is the largest physics discussion forum on the internet. All the other science forums I've come across have little to no activity.

Leptos said:
I'm guessing April 18th in the afternoon.

In what time zone? Or did you intend to keep that option open? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
In what time zone? Or did you intend to keep that option open? :biggrin:
Forum software time.

I'm going to say the Thursday April 22.

Didn't we used to have more members?

lisab said:

yeah but the sarlacc was getting hungry

lisab said:

No. We have been climbing since day 1. From time to time, Greg purges the database, which drops up to about 10,000-15,000 members, IIRC, but we have never passed the 200,000 mark.

Greg Bernhardt said:
yeah but the sarlacc was getting hungry

...now we know what happens to banned members...

Ivan Seeking said:
No. We have been climbing since day 1. From time to time, Greg purges the database, which drops up to about 10,000-15,000 members, IIRC, but we have never passed the 200,000 mark.

well, he just can't get in on the bet---you know, with absolute power...

no, wrong one----what's the one with Spiderman?

Also notable we just beat our previous record for posts in a day from 2045 to 2071!

May 14, 2010, 9 pm EST

May 6, 2010 at 21:00 GMT

+/- 3 days. :biggrin:

April 20, 2010, at 3:14.16 PM EDT.

Plus or minus 5 months.

Char. Limit said:

Plus or minus 5 months.

The uncertainty of your measurement is unacceptable!

Ivan, I motion for Char's prediction to be removed from the record and for all further input from him to be considered inadmissible! :devil:

:biggrin:

Chat time on Sunday the 18th. 11am Eastern.

Dembadon said:
The uncertainty of your measurement is unacceptable!

Ivan, I motion for Char's prediction to be removed from the record and for all further input from him to be considered inadmissible! :devil:

:biggrin:

Hmm... you might be right, let me change my uncertainty. It was caused by an extremely slow convergence with an extremely large error anyway.

April 20, 2010, at 3:14.16 EDT.

Plus or minus [itex]\hbar[/itex]

Char. Limit said:
... Plus or minus [itex]\hbar[/itex]

:rofl:

I say April 18 at around 3 PM.

7/7 at 7:42 am [MY TIME ZONE] :biggrin:

Last edited:

Do we have any more predictions? We should probably cut this off at the end of the day, Saturday [PDT].

Last edited:
So far we have:

Leptos said:
I'm guessing April 18th in the afternoon [forum time].

zomgwtf said:
I'm going to say the Thursday April 22.[forum time]

hypatia said:
May 14, 2010, 9 pm EST

Dembadon said:
May 6, 2010 at 21:00 GMT

Char. Limit said:

turbo-1 said:
Chat time on Sunday the 18th. 11am Eastern.

Char. Limit said:
April 20, 2010, at 3:14.16 EDT.

Stratosphere said:
I say April 18 at around 3 PM.

drizzle said:
7/7 at 7:42 am [MY TIME ZONE] :biggrin:

The winner will receive a credit for 10 fish slaps from Evo.

Last edited:

Hahaaaa, I knew it!

Even if I get it right how would you know that? :biggrin:

Hmmm, giving it a second thought, I would guess 21st April- 6:10 am... YOUR time zone! :biggrin:

Last edited:

drizzle said:
Even if I get it right how would you know that? :biggrin:

We know. :wink:

april 17th--11pm forum time

<h2> What is the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"? </h2><p> The "200,000 PF Members Challenge" is a scientific research project that aims to recruit 200,000 individuals to participate in various studies and experiments. The goal is to gather a large and diverse sample of participants to better understand human behavior and health. </p><h2> How can I participate in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"? </h2><p> To participate in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge", you can sign up on the project's website or through a participating research institution. You may also be invited to participate through targeted recruitment methods, such as social media ads or email campaigns. </p><h2> What types of studies and experiments will I be involved in as a participant? </h2><p> The "200,000 PF Members Challenge" will involve a wide range of studies and experiments, covering topics such as psychology, genetics, nutrition, and more. The specific studies you will be involved in will depend on your demographics, interests, and any health conditions you may have. </p><h2> Is my personal information and data safe in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"? </h2><p> Yes, your personal information and data will be kept confidential and secure in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge". All research institutions and scientists involved in the project must adhere to strict ethical guidelines and regulations to protect participants' privacy. </p><h2> What are the potential benefits of participating in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"? </h2><p> By participating in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge", you will have the opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking scientific research that can improve our understanding of human health and behavior. You may also gain access to personalized health information and resources based on your participation. </p>

What is the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"?

The "200,000 PF Members Challenge" is a scientific research project that aims to recruit 200,000 individuals to participate in various studies and experiments. The goal is to gather a large and diverse sample of participants to better understand human behavior and health.

How can I participate in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"?

To participate in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge", you can sign up on the project's website or through a participating research institution. You may also be invited to participate through targeted recruitment methods, such as social media ads or email campaigns.

What types of studies and experiments will I be involved in as a participant?

The "200,000 PF Members Challenge" will involve a wide range of studies and experiments, covering topics such as psychology, genetics, nutrition, and more. The specific studies you will be involved in will depend on your demographics, interests, and any health conditions you may have.

Is my personal information and data safe in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"?

Yes, your personal information and data will be kept confidential and secure in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge". All research institutions and scientists involved in the project must adhere to strict ethical guidelines and regulations to protect participants' privacy.

What are the potential benefits of participating in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge"?

By participating in the "200,000 PF Members Challenge", you will have the opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking scientific research that can improve our understanding of human health and behavior. You may also gain access to personalized health information and resources based on your participation.