Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

200 dates and no succes

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    A 34 year old man in the tv - series "Virgin Diaries" claims to have been on 200 dates by the age of 24 and has no succes in laying with anyone of these women. Setaside the questionability whether the show is fake or not: is this possible?

We all know dating is a numbers game so for him to have been on 200 dates requires approaching thousands (!) of women. I find it highly unlikely that after approaching that many women he would have no succes. He claims to have made out with 11 women of those 200 dates. I have to be honest I haven't watched the show but only clips from it but looking at these clips he has virtually no problem approaching and talking to a woman.

What do you guys think? Is he for real?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2
    Setaside the questionability whether this is possible or not, he should approach another thousands, date another 200 and see what he gets.

4. May 28, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If he runs away, why not.

5. May 28, 2013 #4
    Does he remeber all 200 names and what they did on the date?

could be he is:
    1. highly forgetful,
    2. using the pity-me routine and does not want to admit success, otherwise his tactic is blown to future women he will meet with the "Poor baby, I will take care of you" gene. Ha,ah

6. May 29, 2013 #5
    This was the ginger-haired Mormon guy yes?

200 by age 24 seems excessive to me (then again I'd think that, I had none by that age), but it might be real if he spent a lot of time on lots of online dating sites and dated in a wide geographic area.

The "contacting 1000's of women" might just amount to randomly messaging people on these sites or chat rooms. Probably not that hard to do in a year.

7. May 29, 2013 #6
    Yes.

I diid not watch the show enitrely but it seems like he went out with his mother to go to bars to collect the numbers but did you watch the entire series? Maybe you know more than I do regarding this guy.

But still getting 200 dates? I don' know anyone who has had that amount of dates at the age of 24.

8. May 29, 2013 #7
    My knowledge of this show is limited to a few short clips I've seen on youtube. Some of it comes across as fake (not the 3 sisters, I believe that one).

He may have exaggerated as most males do (by a factor of 2 or 3), but in a densely populated area with an easy commute to other big cities + a whole lot of time behind a computer hitting on girls via dating sites, it might be possible.

If his numbers are real, I would attribute his high failure rate to (in ascending order): his physical aspect, religious affiliation, and openness about his virginity (a deal killer for most women with increasing age).

9. May 29, 2013 #8
    It does seem remarkable that he apparently has enough skills to get 200 dates, but not enough to get anywhere with any of them.

10. May 30, 2013 #9
    If he's speaking the truth (i.e. if the show is real)

11. May 30, 2013 #10
    What’s success to this guy (or people who think like this)? If it’s just the sex, there are easier ways of getting that.

Maybe it's the "numbers game" approach, coupled with the obvious tunnel-vision of "getting some". It doesn't take that much skill to get many/most girls to take you up on an offer of a single date. But when you’re sole intention is to score, and you consider any date pointless (or a failure) if she doesn’t come home with you, you’re setting yourself up for failure anyway. Unless she’s on the prowl as well, she’ll see through your feigned interest in her (as a person) and you’ll just wind up looking like a jerk on most of those dates.

Frankly, the idea of striking out with 800 women to land 200 dates is, in my opinion, embarrassing.

12. May 30, 2013 #11

MarneMath

Education Advisor

\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoz4Jo5N_tY
    Pretty much explains it all.

13. May 30, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Marry me Marne. Save me from this fate.

14. May 30, 2013 #13

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I lease my wife out for a week for the cost of half a Cornell worth education! Just tell your folks you're still going to college, and then give me the money!

15. May 30, 2013 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

But I wanted to marry you :frown:

16. May 30, 2013 #15

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I make it a rule to not marry people whose bodies are smaller than my right bicep.

17. May 31, 2013 #16
    Restrain himself from further escalation, I find that hard to believe...

18. Jun 1, 2013 #17

reenmachine

Gold Member

IMO this is impossible unless the guy has a MAJOR physical or mental flaw.

But getting 200 dates in 18 years is not uncommon if you are single.A date per month , which is logical since you didn't get laid the last time you will probably lose your previous date unless both prefer a platonic relationship.

What is unlikely is a guy dating 200 women and not getting laid.I mean if sex is not one of your goal , then you probably don't have a personality that's likely to chase women enough to get a date per month and you're more likely to really choose your dates carefully.

Realizing that a girl is sexy takes about 1 second , realizing that a girl is interesting and that you have great chemistry with her on the intellectual or emotionnal level takes longer.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  19. Jun 1, 2013 #18

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I don't think so. The guy wants to remain a virgin until he finds someone and gets married. In a 34 yr life, you can go on 200 'dates'. I don't think dates necessary means 200 different women, but even if it did, dating from 16-34 is 18 yrs of trying, and I know personally, if I wanted to I could go on 200 dates with different women during that time. The key factor is that for one reason or another none of this relationships have lead to the prospect of marriage and thus he has never allowed himself to commit.

20. Jun 3, 2013 #19
    Coorect me if I'm wrong but In the tv-series he said that by the age of 24 he had 200 dates and not by the age of 34.

21. Jun 3, 2013 #20

MarneMath

Education Advisor

My mistake, you're right :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook