Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

200+ Kbps of LP Nirvana

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Mmmm, audio ecstasy.

Guy on my dorm network had fifteen Nirvana LPs all encoded as 200+KBps MP3s. Just put them all on my ipod. They sound so wonderful. Whoever that guy was, he's my hero.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, the guy probably actually had 64 and changed it to 200 so people think it's high quality. Meanwhile, no one can tell.

I seen big music fans and they couldn't tell from 128 and 64.
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    I can easily tell :bugeye: Then again, I do have Sennheiser HD 590s
  5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone could hear the difference between 128 kbps and 64 kbps mp3 on laptop speakers. I can easily tell the difference between 192 kbps and 128 kbps, too, given the same encoder. 256+ kbps vs. 192 kbps, however, is sometimes a coin flip. 300 kbps mp3 is generally regarded as being acoustically indistinguishable from CD-DA.

- Warren
  6. Apr 20, 2007 #5

Ummm.....i certainly can.

I usually encode my CDs in Ogg 200+. I can definitely tell a difference between those and say iTunes AAC at 128. Likewise, i have some of the itunes versions of these same recordings. Definitely a difference. I checked the bit rate AFTER noticing the difference. Going above 200+ i can't tell the difference any more but from 128 to 200+ I certainly can.
  7. Apr 20, 2007 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess the earphone quality has a huge impact. With earphones, I can't tell at all.
  8. Apr 21, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of earphones are you using?

- Warren
  9. Apr 21, 2007 #8
    yea depends on the quality of the speaker... I doubt you could tell with ipod earphones (or most of those tiny earphone deals)... but with good quality headphones or speakers anyone should be able to tell 128 from 192.

I hate the sound of mp3s but it's what I listen to 99% of the time because itunes is just so damn convenient. I have 10.7 days worth of music on my computer hd, that couldn't fit as aiff... well it could, but I wouldn't have enough space left.
  10. Apr 21, 2007 #9
    iTunes doesn't sell MP3s....

i have approx 3000 tracks on my HD, about half MP3, nearly half Ogg, and a small portion of AAC.
  11. Apr 21, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have 220 gigabytes of music (45+ days), all mp3, all 192 kbps or better.

- Warren
  12. Apr 21, 2007 #11
    well I rip the album from the original CD's to 192 (320 if it's a CD that deserves good quality). from the itunes store I've only bought a McLusky album and a Parry Gripp album. also a lot of it is downloaded and I'm slowly buying the music I like as I get $$
  13. Apr 21, 2007 #12

15!!???? :bugeye: ... is Kurt Cobain pulling a 2pac and I wasn't aware of it??
  14. Apr 21, 2007 #13
    Some were singles with the same songs as some of the albums.

Going down the list i have:

All Apologies [Single]
    Come As You Are [Single]
    From The Muddy Banks of the Wishkah
    Heart-Shaped Box [Single]
    In Bloom [Single]
    In Utero
    Litium [CD Single] --Obviously not the LP versions...
    MTV Unplugged in new York
    Rome 02/22/94 (Concert)
    Smells Like Teen Spirit [Single]

All of the singles are labeled as LP versions, the albums aren't labelled as such. All are at 200+ bit rates though.

And actually yeah there have been a couple of posthumous albums, but not as many as Tupac.
  15. Apr 21, 2007 #14
    lol yea... I think Miss Cleo is channeling that one or something.

one of my favorite Chappelle skits, I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe when it came on tv.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Apr 21, 2007 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyone want to buy my FIRST PRESSING of 'Bleach'?

Well, you can't have it!
  17. Apr 21, 2007 #16
    lmao, YOU again! ... what's next, you got a bag-full of the last remains of Billy Corgan's hair in your basement?

Moe "The 80's weren't cool and the Pixies invented the 90's" Darklight :biggrin:
  18. Apr 21, 2007 #17
    Yes, because some people know they can't have it, so they refuse to make any deals with it. Some people like not to because they just don't care or learn not to care.
    Honestly, I wish all the best for it, and one day there'll be someone buying it for you.
  19. Apr 21, 2007 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Billy lost his hair when they added fake violins to their music. I never collected hair, much. Got a fistful of Jello's chest hair once while he was diving into the audience.:yuck: I didn't keep it.

You really do want it don't you?:tongue:
  20. Apr 21, 2007 #19
    haha, that explains it.

whatever it is that possesses people to add fake violins into their music, I'll never understand...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?