2001 free response Question [ ]

• Thread starter FishFace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Response
In summary, the person is seeking help with a past free response question for AP Chemistry. They are self-studying and have found the question difficult to understand without a class. They have posted the question on a forum and are asking for any input or assistance. The question involves determining the oxidation states of iodine and sulfur in various compounds.
FishFace
2001 free response Question [urgent]

Hello Physics forum-
Over the past couple of hours I've been trying to solve an AP Chem problem. I'm self studying for the AP exam and i got a copy of a bunch of past free response questions to help me study. Most are hard, and without a class, its even harder to understand. So now, after a lot of trial and error, I decided to ask this forum. Please help in any way, shape or form. I'm still not 100% sure how to even approach this problem, and I'd appreciate ANY input.

I scanned the problem to make it easier for all of us:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1974/57575757557copysi8.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll get you started...

In the reaction you have on the reagent side, iodide (iodine in the -1 oxidation state). On the product side you have [tex]I_3^-[/tex]. What is the oxidation state of iodine in [tex]I_3^-[/tex]?

What is the oxidation state of the sulfur in peroxysulfate? In sulfate?

From there you should be able to answer a).

Hello there,

I understand your frustration with trying to solve this AP Chem problem. I can offer some guidance on how to approach this question.

First, it's important to carefully read and understand the question. In this case, we are given a reaction between sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and hydrochloric acid (HCl).

Next, we need to identify the relevant information and variables given in the problem. This includes the initial concentrations of NaOH and HCl, as well as the volume of the solution. It's also important to note that the reaction is taking place in a calorimeter, which will allow us to measure the change in temperature.

Now, we can use the stoichiometry of the reaction to determine the moles of NaOH and HCl that are present in the initial solution. From there, we can use the ideal gas law to calculate the change in enthalpy (ΔH) of the reaction.

To solve for ΔH, we will need to use the formula ΔH = q/moles. The q value represents the heat released or absorbed during the reaction, which can be determined from the change in temperature and the specific heat capacity of the solution. The moles can be calculated from the initial concentrations and volume of the solution.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. Remember to approach it systematically and carefully, and don't hesitate to ask for clarification or assistance if needed. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the "2001 free response Question [ ]"?

The purpose of the "2001 free response Question [ ]" is to evaluate a student's understanding and application of scientific concepts and principles in a specific topic or subject.

2. How are the "2001 free response Question [ ]" questions structured?

The "2001 free response Question [ ]" questions are typically structured as open-ended prompts that require students to provide a written response or explanation, rather than simply selecting a multiple choice answer.

3. Are there any specific guidelines or formats to follow when answering "2001 free response Question [ ]"?

Yes, there are usually specific guidelines and formats provided for answering "2001 free response Question [ ]". These may include providing a clear and concise response, using scientific terminology and evidence, and following a designated structure or format.

4. How are "2001 free response Question [ ]" answers evaluated?

"2001 free response Question [ ]" answers are typically evaluated based on the accuracy and completeness of the response, as well as the use of appropriate scientific concepts and evidence to support the answer. Points may also be awarded for following the designated format and structure.

5. Can I use outside resources to answer "2001 free response Question [ ]"?

It depends on the specific guidelines and instructions given for the question. In some cases, outside resources may be allowed and even encouraged to support your answer. However, other questions may require you to solely rely on your own knowledge and understanding of the subject.