1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2002 ap physics c free response #1 question

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1
    hello, in lieu of the upcoming ap exam, I have been studying old free response questions from ap exams. I have a question about this one

A crash test car of mass 1000kg moving at constant speed of 12m/s collides completely inelastically with an object of mass M at time t=0. the object was initially at rest. the speed v in m/s of the car-object system after the collision is given as a function of time t in seconds by the expression

v=8/(1+5t)

(a)calculate the mass of the object
    (b) assuming the initial position of x=0, determine an expression for the car object system after the collision as a function of time t
    (c)determine an expression for the resisting force on the car-object system after the collision as a function of time t.
    (d) determine the impulse delivered to the car-object system from t=0 to t=2s

I am currently doing A, and I came up with:

m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 <= (law of conservation)
    (1,000)(12)=(1000+M)8

I got the 8 by plugging t=0 into v=8/(1+5t)

so M=1400KG? For some reason it does not seem right ...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's not. Your method is correct, but you must have made an arithmetic error.

4. Apr 25, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Yep.

Think F = ma. You have v(t). Find a.

5. Apr 25, 2004 #4
    thanks! I solved it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?