Did FL-13 Impact the 2006 Midterm Election Results?

• News
  • Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, the disputed election in Florida's 13th congressional district did not have a significant impact on the overall results of the 2006 midterm elections. While the race garnered national attention due to allegations of voting machine malfunctions and irregularities, the final outcome was a narrow victory for the Republican candidate. However, the controversy surrounding the election highlighted the need for election reform and raised concerns about the integrity of the electoral process. Ultimately, the FL-13 race serves as a reminder of the importance of fair and accurate elections in maintaining a functioning democracy.
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Hold your horses there. Look way down south in Ole Miss'. Trent Lott is still there and he is leading in MS Senate race with about 64% of the vote.
Yikes! Forgot about that one didn't I? :biggrin:

Apparently on the ballot for the Nevada Senate race is a choice for "None of These" :rofl: and so far 4,755 votes are cast for this choice.

Gokul43201 said:
Yikes! Forgot about that one didn't I? :biggrin:
That's OK, everyone else ignores Mississippi. :biggrin:

50-50 (with 58% in) Madrid-Wilson House in New Mexico.

Politicians Sweep Midterm Elections
Resounding Victories In All States, Counties, Cities, Towns
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54918

WASHINGTON, DC—After months of aggressive campaigning and with nearly 99 percent of ballots counted, politicians were the big winners in Tuesday's midterm election, taking all 435 seats in the House of Representatives, retaining a majority with 100 out of 100 seats in the Senate, and pushing political candidates to victory in each of the 36 gubernatorial races up for grabs.
They are everywhere.

Democrats close in on control of House
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_el_ho/eln_house
WASHINGTON - Democrats captured more than enough Republican-held districts Tuesday to seize control of the House after a dozen years in the minority as voters demonstrated disenchantment with a war, a president and scandals on Capitol Hill.

Winning 21 GOP seats, if Democrats hold nearly all of their own, they would rise to power and clear the way for Rep. Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) to become the country's first female speaker. By early Wednesday, no Democratic incumbent had lost.

"The old era of irresponsibility is over, and the new era of real reform has just begun," declared Rep. Rahm Emanuel (news, bio, voting record), the Illinois Democrat who oversaw his party's House campaign.

Faced with the inevitable, the White House made plans for President Bush to call Pelosi first thing Wednesday morning, and Republican Party Chairman Ken Mehlman said: "It's possible that Nancy Pelosi will become House speaker.".

The magic number for control was 218 seats. By late Tuesday, Democrats had won 197 seats and were leading for another 34, which would give them 231. Republicans won 159 and were leading in 41.
Hmmm. Well I hope whomever is in charge does a better job.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Update]STATEHOUSES - KEY RACES:

AR : Mike Beebe(D) has won.

CO : Ritter(D) looks set to win.

IA : Culver(D) with a 9% lead has essentially won (82% reporting).

MD : Ehrlich(R,inc) is narrowly trailing O'Malley(D) with 70% counted.

MN : Pawlenty(R,inc) vs Hatch(D) -- too close to call

MI : Granholm(D, inc) holds off DeVos(R) easily

ME : Baldacci(D, inc) leading Woodcock(R) by 10% - counting about half done.

OH : Strickland(D) is handily walloping Sec. State, Ken Blackwell(R).

FL (Jeb's seat) : Crist(R) beat Davis(D) by 7 points (nearly all done)

RI : Carcieri (R, inc) holds off Fogarty(D) to keep statehouse.

<will update and add to list as significant numbers come in>

HAHA, I love how these two are running against each other for the house in some state and some district (I forgot...)

Saxton
Sexton
:rofl: I wonder how many people got confused

Gokul43201 said:
THE DEMS HAVE THE HOUSE!

HALLELUJAH!

The Senate may take some time yet...

Corker declared the winner in Tenn.

CNN is currently calling 49 senate seats for the Reps and 48 for the Dems with MO, MT and VA undecided. I'm not very sure how they've classified Lieberman's seat - looks like they're calling him a Dem (someone confirm?).

I believe Talent(R) takes MO, and the Dems (Webb, Tester) take the other 2.

50 - 50 ? What happens then? Who gets committee leaderships?

They are counting Lieberman as a dem. He has stated that he will remain loyal to democratic principles.

It can't be 50-50.

Ivan Seeking said:
It can't be 50-50.

Why..not?

Would the VP being the president of the Senate provide useful for the republicans in this case?

Oh, wait...I forgot Sanders(I) in VT. Something's not right...

But Bernie Sanders (VT) is an Independent. Did they put him as a Dem?

It would be nice if some moderate/independent Reps lean independent, and some Dems too.

The Dems also need to think about a replacement for Robert Byrd (WV) who is way up there in age.
he entered the Senate on January 3, 1959. Additionally, Byrd is the longest serving member of the United States Senate in American history, serving 47 years. Counting his time as a West Virginia state legislator from 1947 to 1953, Byrd has served as an elected official for almost 60 years and has never lost an election. At 88, Byrd is the oldest member of Congress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd#Byrd.27s_public_service_record

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know about Sanders.

In the Senate, in the event of a tie vote, Cheney would cast the deciding vote.

Looks like the senators will have to show up far more often now that the balance of power will be so delicate :rofl:

Astronuc said:
But Bernie Sanders (VT) is an Independent. Did they put him as a Dem?
Checked all the numbers - they only make sense if CNN has listed Sanders as a Dem. With that, it's going to be 50-50 (strictly speaking, 50-48-2)

CNN just reported that regarding the Senate vote, armies of lawyers are are being deployed. Control of the Senate could boil down to a few votes.

Gokul43201 said:
(strictly speaking, 50-48-2)

I prefer to think of it as Republicans, and Not-Republicans.

What exactly are these armies of lawyers supposed to be doing?

Why is the AARP running expensive political commercials on CNN after 10PM Pacific time?

Gokul43201 said:
Mamma mia! McCaskill's just taken the lead in Mizzou! Unless Allen's lawyers can pull an elephant out of their hats, we might have the Dems taking the Senate!
By ~15600 votes with 81% of precincts reporting. Still tight.

Missouri Amendment 2: Allow Stem Cell Research is currently YES by 10,000 votes, presumably those who voted for McCaskill.

Still it seems that incumbents have an advantage.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Why is the AARP running expensive political commercials on CNN after 10PM Pacific time?
Influencing votes in Hawaii and Alaksa? :rofl:

Astronuc said:
What exactly are these armies of lawyers supposed to be doing?

Dig out votes, oversee recounts, whine for the cameras and spend money.

Congratulations to the first Madam Speaker! Another historic first.

I hope that I don't hate her. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

The uncounted precincts swing democratic.

Astronuc said:
I've done some math - I believe McCaskill is going to pick up an additional 30-odd-thousand votes. Lots of votes left to count in Jackson and St. Louis - both Dem strongholds.

Ivan Seeking said:
HALLELUJAH!
It's now official.

Dems currently have 219 seats in the House.

So how many seats are the dems likely to pick up in the house?

Did you see how close the Florida 13 was?
119,060:118,696
364 difference
crazy

The final count on Governorships will likely read 28 D, 22 R.

Still a tight Senate race in Montana with Tester only 12,000 votes ahead of Burns with 55% of precincts reporting.

Dems may get
Connecticut 02(it's nearly a tie right now)
Colorado 07 (only 20% precincts, but looks like dem will get it)
California 11 is up for grabs, most likely democrat
Georgia 12 looks like dem
What the hell is up with Louisiana 12? Most likely Dem (jefferson) though
Nevada 03 maybe dem, maybe GOP
New Mexico 01 really close both ways
Pennsylvania 06 most likely dem but it can potentially go either way
Pennsylvania 08 looks like dem got it
Texas 22 dem got it...
Wyoming 01 close, but most likely GOP
Soooo, hmm

Ivan Seeking said:
So how many seats are the dems likely to pick up in the house?
My guess is they'll end up with 230 (+/- 3 seats) - that will be a gain of 35 seats (they've already got 24 and there's about 35 close races yet to be called)!