2008 Congressional, Statehouse Races

• News
  • Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the polls show that Senator Ted Stevens is still in the lead, but there is still much vote counting to be done.
Chambliss wins by a handy 15 point margin. So, even if Franken can pull off a win, the Dems will get only 59 seats in the Senate. I prefer 58, but not for reasons that have anything to do with Franken.

I'd like to see dem measures passed only if they are good enough to sway at least a couple of moderates in the GOP.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
Looks like a thumpin' (so far, and I believe it will get a little closer with time), but that was kinda expected.

Kinda expected by whom?

chemisttree said:
Kinda expected by whom?

Even the former Democratic Senator endorsed the Republican Chambliss over the Democrat Martin. (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/11/26/zell_miller_chambliss_senate.html ) :uhh:

Okay, that probably doesn't mean that much.

Georgia Senators are kind of interesting. One of Georgia's Senators had the distinction of being the last slave owner to serve in the Senate (actually a former owner by time she served). She was also the first female Senator in the US. She was also the oldest freshman Senator to enter the Senate (87-years-old). She also served the shortest amount of time as Senator (one day).

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
Kinda expected by whom?
Most everyone, no?

Martin only got close the first time round, because:
i. There was a huge Dem turnout for the Presidential ticket (largely from early voting)
ii. Buckley took away over 3% of Chambliss' vote

In addition to these, the GOP had a strong argument based on the proximity of the Senate to a 60-seat Dem majority. That got the Republican vote out, while the Dems stayed home, satisfied with the gains made already.

The laughable presumption is that some Sarah somebody would take credit in any way for his election. With the expected lower turnout without the historic aspect of the Presidential vote, I'd think that Chambliss would have had to do something really inappropriate to blow it.

Yet inappropriate is what he surely tried to do. Just checkout his groping his granddaughter at the end of this clip.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3T6q88QF4

Gokul43201 said:
Most everyone, no?

Martin only got close the first time round, because:
i. There was a huge Dem turnout for the Presidential ticket (largely from early voting)
ii. Buckley took away over 3% of Chambliss' vote

In addition to these, the GOP had a strong argument based on the proximity of the Senate to a 60-seat Dem majority. That got the Republican vote out, while the Dems stayed home, satisfied with the gains made already.

The polls did have Chambliss winning, but no thumpin'.

None of http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/latestpolls/senate.html".

I would have thought that the prospect of having a supermajority might have really motivated Dems to turn out. Apparently it didn't.

chemisttree said:
I would have thought that the prospect of having a supermajority might have really motivated Dems to turn out. Apparently it didn't.
Nah! Even if they did feel strongly about that they'd still have needed MN to go their way. GA alone could not ensure a supermaj. But GA alone could (and did) prevent one.

Minnesota Supreme Court declares Al Franken the winner.

Here's a link to the story declaring Franken the winner, that has now become available:
(CNN) -- Minnesota's Supreme Court has dismissed former Sen. Norm Coleman's challenge to the state's November election results and declared Democratic challenger Al Franken the winner.
The unanimous opinion ruled that Franken "received the highest number of votes legally cast" and is entitled "to receive the certificate of election as United States senator from the state of Minnesota."
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/30/franken.ruling/

Minnesota cheated out of a Senator for 6 months by the obstructionist Coleman. I can't imagine he will be elected to much of anything again in Minnesota. What a farce.

And the Republican efforts end in a fruitless result, and make them look silly and petulant ... again.

Finally! I don't recall any election running this long before.

Coleman said:
“I congratulate Al Franken” on his victory, Coleman said at a news conference outside his home in St. Paul. “Sure I wanted to win,” the Republican said, though he said further litigation would damage the state’s unity.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a_0vTv_Vz92c

The last shoe has finally dropped.

Apparently Coleman got the memo that the well was dry and there would be no more funds to pursue it to Federal Court even if he had the chutzpah to appeal this decision.

This must be the worst case of loser-itis ever.

Now it's time to get to work and get Jon Stuart elected to Congress.