How Does Adding an Aluminum Rod Affect Water Temperature and Steam Production?

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of an aluminium rod to a system containing a 200g copper calorimeter and 200g of water at 30 degrees. The final temperature after the rod is added is 100 degrees, with 10g of water being converted to steam. The conversation then discusses calculating the energy required to vaporize the 10g of water and finding the initial temperature of the rod. It is also mentioned that an electric heater has a radiant output of 500W at 150 degrees, and the question is posed of what the radiant output would be at 200 degrees.
cogs24
hi guys

200g copper calorimeter, 200g of water, both intially at 30 degrees. Aluminium rod added to the system, with mass of 250g, final temp is 100 degrees. 10g of water is converted to steam.

first its asking to calulate how much energy is reuiqred to vaporize those 10g to steam

then it asks the find the initial temp of the rod
For this i had:

(0.2 x 387 x 70) + (0.2 x 4186 x 70) = 0.25 x 900 x (T initial - 100)

i tried getting the initial temperature, but it didnt come out, i think i have to include the 10g vaporization of water?

Also, an electric heater has a radiant output of 500W at 150 degrees, so what's the radiant output at 200 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
cogs24 said:
i think i have to include the 10g vaporization of water?
Sure, that is energy from the aluminium rod that was used to evaporate the water. The copper absorbed heat to warm up, the water absorbed heat to warm up to 100 degrees, and then additionally 10 gram absorbed energy to convert to steam. Sum the three and you get the energy the aluminium rod lost.

1. What is a 200g copper calorimeter?

A 200g copper calorimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the change in thermal energy or heat during a chemical reaction or physical process. It is made of copper, which is a good conductor of heat and has a relatively low specific heat capacity, making it ideal for accurately measuring temperature changes.

2. How does a 200g copper calorimeter work?

The 200g copper calorimeter works by absorbing the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. This heat causes a change in temperature of the calorimeter and its contents, which can be measured using a thermometer. By knowing the mass and specific heat capacity of the calorimeter, the change in thermal energy can be calculated.

3. What are the applications of a 200g copper calorimeter?

A 200g copper calorimeter has various applications in the field of chemistry, such as determining the enthalpy of a chemical reaction, measuring the specific heat capacity of a substance, and studying the thermodynamics of a system. It is also used in industries for quality control and in academic settings for conducting experiments.

4. How accurate is a 200g copper calorimeter?

The accuracy of a 200g copper calorimeter depends on various factors such as the precision of the measurements, the calibration of the thermometer, and the insulation of the calorimeter. With proper techniques and equipment, a 200g copper calorimeter can provide precise and accurate measurements of thermal energy changes.

5. How to calibrate a 200g copper calorimeter?

To calibrate a 200g copper calorimeter, the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter must be determined using a known substance with a known specific heat capacity. This can be done by heating a known mass of the substance and measuring the temperature change of the calorimeter and its contents. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat absorbed by the calorimeter, m is the mass of the substance, c is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This value can be used to calibrate the calorimeter for future experiments.