What are your thoughts on the 2010 Soccer World Cup Bid?

• Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, tomorrow is the 2010 Soccer World Cup Bid announcement. It has been said that it WILL go to Africa (after the bungle up for the 2006 WC where Germany won the bid after Charles Dempsey abstained from voting - contrary to his regions official stance - and handed the WC to Germany. He is still on South Africa's most wanted list! :wink: ) and South Africans are excited for it. England will win it anyway.
Shahil
Hi!

Ja, this ain't a sports forum but still - its news!

Tomorrow (being Saturday)is the 2010 Soccer World Cup Bid announcement. It has been said that it WILL go to Africa (after the bungle up for the 2006 WC where Germany won the bid after Charles Dempsey abstained from voting - contrary to his regions official stance - and handed the WC to Germany. He is still on South Africa's most wanted list! :wink: )

Anyway, just wanted to know the reaction of you guys to this. How does the bid affect you and does it make any difference in your life as to whom it goes to?

For the record, the bidding countries are South Africa, Morocco, Egypt, Libya and I think someone else but I've forgotten :redface: It actually is only a two-horse race between SA and Morocco so those are the important ones!

Anyway, I'm holding thumns for SA (well i do live here!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Libya is not in the running? You mean to tell me Moamar is being good for no reason?

Njorl

As long as it is no where near Zimbabwe, I don't really mind. England will win it anyway.

When it comes to where the Olympics and the Soccer World Cup take place, all I ever care about is what the time difference will be. :smile: But good luck to South Africa, if it will make you happy.

jimmy p said:
As long as it is no where near Zimbabwe, I don't really mind. England will win it anyway.

So I'm guessing you don't want SA to get it then?? ANd as for England winning :rolleyes: ja........

lol, well i would prefer the world cup to be in England. Yeah I suppose the England squad at the moment isn't too hot but who knows in 6 years time...

At the moment we need less David Beckham and more Frank Lampard.

U know wot Shahil. i think we bloody well deserve the soccer world cup. Our country is absolutely superb, no disrespect to the other candidates.. Africa is going to host the world cup and what better country than SA, diversity, good sports facilities, friendly people.. wot more would anybody want. I will be the first one in line to buy tickets if we get the WC.. which I am sure we will. we should have won it the last time if it wasnt for that dude who copped out on us. As for england wining the Wc... Jimmy P... wot have u been smoking!? keeping my fingers crossed......

in 2010 it may be possible, you know, Brazil can't keep producing good players, Germany has gone on a downward spiral, France will have need some new blood by then. We may have a good chance!

Remember that the world cup will take place in deep South African winter (assuming SA wins). So it should be clear that the cup will go to either Russia, Canada or Finland. I've heard that the Russian players all own football-snowshoes!

Funny how Germany still manages to become vice-champion when everyone agrees that they are going through a difficult time :biggrin:

Anyway, congrats to all South Africans, it's good to see the WC being held in Africa at last.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: We won the bid. i can't wait for 2010! the celebrations last nite were awesome. Wot did u do shahil? I went to the german schools beerfes... the excitement was insane! Where do u think they are going to host the finals? i hope its somewhere near JoZi.. or even Cape town!

Yea well done South Africa, will be a brilliant world cup, hopefully i can get out there for it.

Germany Vice champions? Runners up, and they had the easiest run to the final that anyone could have hoped for. The first top team that they played was Brazil and they lost. I assume you can remember the 5-1 thrashing we gave them on their own turf?

:biggrin: :approve: :biggrin: :approve:

Woohoo! We won!

To all you non-SA guys, Saturday was one of the proudest moments any South African has ever experienced. It seems the country was literally on a standstill from 12h00 till the annoiuncement and after that - I'm sure the screaming could be heard in Zimbabwe! It was absolutely amazing! Such a nice experience when an entire nation is ecstatic together! Wow!

I promise it will be the best WC ever staged!

Anyway, as they say - the real work starts now so I have to bring up another issue on this. Already - in the midst of all the euphoria - we are having people voicing concerns about ticket prices and the fact that ordinary citizens aren't going to benefit - only big business. Granted, business will require jobs but what about informal traders who aren't o the payroll of multi-nationals. The SACP (Communist Party) has voiced concerns about the WC being only for the elite and tourists as ticket prices are expected to be R800 or, put in real terms, about the same as minimum wage. So have many intellectuals (notably from my varsity) who are saying that the co-operations are the ones who should be rejoicing - not the citizens.

Anyway, enough politics. Please don't debate what I've just said but can you provide details of how USA handled the WC in 1994. It would be nice to know as it would be similar to what we can expect!

yeah i know wot u mean shahil. if u look at every soccer match staged in the country its always packed with black people. The first live soccer match for most of the non-black people in SA will probably be a WC match,,,, which is really sad coz in fact most of the people who can afford those ridiculous prices are in fact not black. I've been to a Wits vs swallows PSL game and it was wikid man, but it was also cheap (i tink it was 30 bucks). i wonder how many of the true soccer fans will be able to buy tickets... R800?? Thats a bit too much., that probably how much most of them earn every month.

How many football stadiums or rugby stadiums do you already have? and what kinda capacity do they have? If I am not mistaken the US already had many stadiums which are normally used for American football. The 2002 world cup in Korea and Japan was truly amazing because most of the stadiums if not all of them where brand new and built specifically for the world cup.

i don't know... but we will be building more stadiums of course and improving the transport system. u thinking of coming, its a really awesome place .. there's a lot to look forward 2 besides the WC.

I could be tempted to go, 6 years is plenty of time to put some money aside and make a few arrangements. What do you reckon jimmy?

That sounds like quite a good plan actually. We will both be around still so why not?

I think u guyz should. it would be the experience of a lifetime.

Yay! We already getting tourists! :smile:

Anyway, to answer Andy's Q. Most of our stadiums are built already, with only 1 or 2 being built because of the WC. Durban (my city) MAY be getting a new 80 000 seater but this stadium was not included in the bid coz we weren't sure if it was going to be built. Hopefully we'll get the final if its built! :biggrin:

Most are getting multi-million rand upgrade to come up to WC standard though unlike USA, most ARE used for soccer and athletics.

There was a whole article on Sunday about the stadia - If the newspaper put it on the web, I'll link you.

Although this will sound like a commercial, South Africa is stunning and worth the visit and the WC will be an excellent time to come since it'll be the only major sporting event taking place in the foreseeable future (coz the 2012 Olympics ain't coming here after the shortlist!).

Here's the Stadia link!

Here's all the stadiums that we submitted to FIFA. As you'll see, a lot of upgrading is to be done!

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2004/05/16/news/news18.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should go jimmy, if only we had a place to stay while we are out there.

Well me n mooberrymarz are getting married apparently so we will have a place to stay.

1. What is the 2010 Soccer World Cup Bid?

The 2010 Soccer World Cup Bid was a bid by South Africa to host the FIFA World Cup in 2010. It was a competition against other countries to be chosen as the host nation for this prestigious international soccer tournament.

2. How was the host nation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup chosen?

The host nation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup was chosen through a bidding process by the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA). Countries were required to submit bids and meet certain criteria, including stadium and infrastructure readiness, to be considered as potential hosts.

3. Did South Africa face any challenges in their bid to host the 2010 Soccer World Cup?

Yes, South Africa faced several challenges in their bid to host the 2010 Soccer World Cup. They had to prove their ability to provide suitable stadiums, accommodations, and infrastructure to support the event. They also faced competition from other countries, including Morocco and Egypt, who were also bidding to host the tournament.

4. What were the benefits of hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup for South Africa?

Hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup brought several benefits to South Africa, including economic growth and job creation through tourism and infrastructure development. It also provided an opportunity for the country to showcase its culture and attract global attention.

5. Did hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup have a lasting impact on South Africa?

Yes, hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup had a lasting impact on South Africa. It improved the country's infrastructure, including transportation and stadiums, and boosted its economy. It also brought a sense of unity and pride among South Africans and put the country on the map as a major sports destination.

Back