What were some favorite moments from the 2012 Olympics?

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation primarily discusses various favorite and least favorite moments from the Olympics, including the 1st and 2nd place finish of Alberto Salazar's proteges in the 10k, the lack of coverage for Galen Rupp's amazing surge, and the bias of coverage towards certain athletes. There is also mention of the uneven bars event, a discussion about athletes' erections, and the US vs Canada game in women's soccer. The conversation also touches on the success of Great Britain in the games and the emotional moment of Chris Hoy receiving his 6th gold medal.
cobalt124
This thread is for anyone to comment/share any favourite moments/experiences/whatever from the Olympics, primarily to stop Dangers specific thread being derailed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chi Meson said:
My favorite moment so far was Alberto Salazar's 2 proteges finishing 1st & 2nd in the 10k.

My least favorite part is the near vacuum of coverage for Galen Rupp's amazing surge in the final straightaway that passed 5 or six of the best runners in the world and grabbed the silver. NBC was all over Mo Farah, but essentially no time for the first American medal in the 10k since 1964.

I also wanted to comment on this without derailing said thread. The mens 10k was the high point for me too, our first 10k gold. Point taken about the coverage, BBC bias is annoying.

Unless this thread becomes an ovation of Tom Daley's "little thing", I will lodge a formal protest.

arildno said:
Unless this thread becomes an ovation of Tom Daley's "little thing", I will lodge a formal protest.

Well, that's my point exactly. Coverage is so concerned with the GB medal haul, the real issues are not being sufficiently covered.

The uneven bars is my favorite event in the Olympics and represents the pinical of Olympic form and grace and beauty:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/gymnastics/nbc-replay-apparatus-finals-rings-mens-vault-uneven-bars.html

Watch for the coy smile. That is my favorite moment in these Olympics that I don't think will be surpassed by anything else.

cobalt124 said:
I also wanted to comment on this without derailing said thread. The mens 10k was the high point for me too, our first 10k gold. Point taken about the coverage, BBC bias is annoying.

I can understand BBC spending all their time covering Mo, but I'm talking about the American broadcaster, NBC, also barely giving notice to Rupp. They missed a fantastic story (or maybe they did one and I missed it?) about them being training partners and working with Salazar (hero of my running youth) and specifically training to beat everyone else in the final 200 meters (which is exactly what happened).

Rupp is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, too. And a continuance of the great Oregonian running tradition.

Chi Meson said:
...being training partners and working with Salazar...

Sounds like Mo Farah got some of the best training there is.

I hear that NBC hold the coverage rights in the U.S. for the Olympics and are only showing highlights. I was surprised at that, it seems a great shame.

What I've been waiting to see is a U.K. medal won truly on individual efforts without sponsorship or an army of trainers behind them. Nicola Adams achieved this yesterday in the flyweight boxing. There must be other examples of this type of achievement in the current Olympics, unfortunately I'm not gettng to see as much coverage as I would like.

arildno said:

I'd prefer a discussion about Henrik Rummel's "little thing."

(For anybody who doesn't get the reference... here)

Jack21222 said:
I'd prefer a discussion about Henrik Rummel's "little thing."

(For anybody who doesn't get the reference... here)

There are, in general, far too few erections in competitive sports these days, and even worse, a total lack of intelligent strategies how to take advantage of them (say, in judo or wrestling).This erection-hostile environment in international sports is the major impediment to the popularization of sports to significant groups of women and gays, and thus lowers profits of advertizing, contributing to large scale unemployment (in addition to unwarranted penis pride).

Critical scrutiny of athletic phallii ought to become a major focus in the next Olympics.

Pathological megalophallism should, of course, be discouraged, Rummel's is perfectly Ok, and the hype, rather than the thing itself, has become too large.

Last edited:
Best of Olympics so far? US vs Canada in womens soccer semi-finals. What an incredible second half!

And I have to admit Canada got jobbed on the keeper infraction and the subsequent penalty kick. A really bizarre call (I don't know how long Canada's keeper held the ball, but that's a call that's usually only made for blatant violations intended to run out the clock, and Canada was trying to run out the clock, so it might have been a correct call) followed by a really bad call (being hit by the ball isn't the same as handling the ball).

And that was followed up by a great finals game, as well. Great game by Solo who barely deflected two shots into the crossbar to save goals (plus Japan's keeper barely deflected a potential own goal into the post - all of Japan's "shots" were hitting woodwork!)

Where to start.. the last couple of weeks have been fantastic. From an epic opening ceremony (which I hope people outside the UK understood.. at least in part), things have only got better. Biased of course, but I think we've put on a brilliant show, and it also helps that GB far exceeded anyone's expectations in the medal haul. For me, one of the highlights was Chris Hoy standing on the podium having received his 6th (and last) olympic gold medal and visibly fighting back the emotion while the national anthem was played.

I didn't apply for any tickets when they went on sale months/years ago, since I didn't think it'd be worth the hype, but then kind of regretted it. I did get to see a football game, though, which was fun: GB v Korea in Cardiff... which we lost on penalties (as per usual!).

What were the main events and highlights of the 2012 Olympics?

The 2012 Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXX Olympiad, took place in London, England from July 27th to August 12th. Some of the main events and highlights included swimmer Michael Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time with a total of 22 medals, Usain Bolt winning the 100m and 200m races for the second consecutive Olympics, and Great Britain winning a total of 65 medals, including 29 gold medals, their best Olympic performance in over a century.

How many countries participated in the 2012 Olympics?

A total of 204 countries participated in the 2012 Olympics, which is the highest number of participating countries in Olympic history.

What were the controversies surrounding the 2012 Olympics?

One of the main controversies surrounding the 2012 Olympics was the use of performance-enhancing drugs by athletes. Several athletes were disqualified or stripped of their medals due to testing positive for banned substances. Another controversy was the empty seats in some venues, which sparked criticism of the ticketing system and distribution.

What is the legacy of the 2012 Olympics?

The 2012 Olympics left a lasting legacy on London and the United Kingdom. The infrastructure built for the games, such as the Olympic Stadium and Olympic Village, have been repurposed for public use. The success of the games also boosted tourism and the economy in the UK. Additionally, the Olympics inspired a new generation of athletes and increased participation in sports and physical activity.

What were some unique features of the 2012 Olympics?

The 2012 Olympics had several unique features, including being the first games to have a live 3D broadcast, the first games to have a female Saudi Arabian athlete compete, and the first games to include women's boxing as an Olympic event. The opening ceremony, directed by Danny Boyle, also featured a memorable performance highlighting British history and culture.