1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2015 Summer Internships Thread

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    I posted one of these threads for the 2014 summer internships. Please post what you apply for and don't forget to update it when you've heard back!

• REU at CERN (I figure my chances of getting in are even lower if I don't apply!)
    • University of Michigan REU
    • University of Colorado - Boulder REU
    • Purdue University REU
    • SULI at Pacific Northwest and Lawrence Berkeley
    • Argonne Nat'l Lab

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2
    Does anyone know any summer programs related semiconductor or laser physics? Preferably in European Union or Russia

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    I will be applying for the REU at Texas A&M and the University of Texas at Tyler.

Hopefully I won't have to go because my own University will have one but they haven't announced anything yet.

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I applied for the Department of Energy CCI (Community College Internship) program. My first and second choice labs were Fermilab and SLAC. I'm hoping I get selected.

6. Jan 7, 2015 #5
    I've applied to REUs at:
    University of Nebraska
    University of Alabama
    Georgetown University
    Brigham Young University

And it may be possible that my own institution announces programs.

I have possible internships at/have applied for:
    Cast Products (in IL)
    FLEx Lighting (in Chicago, IL)

And I have a back-up plan that's almost guaranteed employment for 4 weeks in the summer. I'm mainly interested in thin films science/materials/technology. ^_^

7. Jan 9, 2015 #6
    I am international student, and a freshman in a two years community college. Can I apply for an internship too?

8. Jan 9, 2015 #7
    Of course! Getting in as a freshman would be difficult but you never know unless you try. I think a lot of REUs allow for funding for permanent residents, and there is a program at most national labs called CCI which is for community college students.

9. Jan 9, 2015 #8
    Are there opportunities accessible to a first year physics student? I have elementary coding experience, if that makes a difference (mostly Python)

10. Jan 9, 2015 #9

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

It really all depends. Most of the internships that I've seen require applicants to have taken x number of credit hours of college level science and math courses. Freshman often don't meet that requirement because a lot of the freshman year classes are GenEd type classes. Even when they do meet the requirement, the positions are often given to the sophomores, juniors, and seniors that have more experience. Having some coding experience is definitely a plus.

11. Jan 9, 2015 #10

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Just checked my application status...the CCI application closes in 6 minutes! I think the SULI program application closes at the same time.

12. Jan 9, 2015 #11

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's harder to get an REU as a rising sophomore or junior but it's definitely possible. In my first REU we had one or two rising sophomores, and a few rising juniors. In my second (actually in of the ones mentioned here) pretty much all of us except one or two were rising seniors.

I know for a fact that CERN has accepted people who were rising juniors in the past. I actually know a few people who did that REU.

13. Jan 9, 2015 #12
    That makes me feel better, I've never actually met someone who got accepted to the CERN REU (at least the summer one), so I figured my chances are pretty much slim to none. I mean, they still are, but at least it doesn't seem like it now.

14. Jan 11, 2015 #13

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think because it's so competitive, having the REU on your CV looks great for grad school apps. The several people I know who did this REU are now grad students at Harvard or MIT. Even if you don't get the REU doesn't mean you won't get into top schools, but I think it really helps, especially if you obtain a great letter of recommendation from it.

15. Jan 11, 2015 #14

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Having internships and research experience is one of the most important factors in grad school admissions. They want to see that you've been able to take the knowledge from your courses and actually apply it.

16. Jan 16, 2015 #15
    Quick question, on the CERN application, it said to submit letters of recommendation by January 7th, but that applications would begin to be considered on December 20th. I submitted my application on the 19th but my second letter of recommendation wasn't submitted until Jan. 5th; is this an issue? Just wondering if this might have hurt me. Also, does anyone know when CERN sends out acceptances/rejections?

17. Jan 25, 2015 #16
    Would taking a programming course next semester help my application? I'm deciding whether to take intro to programming in python or chemistry... or take a really heavy workload and take both... or just take astronomy since I'm applying for astrophysics REUs

18. Jan 25, 2015 #17
    Anyone else applying to JPL?

19. Jan 26, 2015 #18
    I'm not sure how to edit my original post, but rejections for CERN went out today.

20. Mar 3, 2015 #19
    Anyone heard from anywhere yet?

21. Mar 3, 2015 #20

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I was accepted into the Department of Energy CCI program at Fermilab. I'm really excited about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook