Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2018 Football World Cup: Russia

Tags:
  1. Nov 15, 2017 #1

ISamson

Gold Member

Hello.

The Football World Cup for 2018 will be in Russia.
    What do you think? Any opinions?
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html
    I can't wait!
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2017 #2
    Can't wait to see it .

4. Nov 16, 2017 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Personally, I can't wait to see the World Cup in 2018. Where it's held isn't quite as important to me.

The interesting fact this year is that Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, for the first time since 1958.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/europe/italy-world-cup.html

To any Italian PF members, or fans of Italian soccer (i.e. called football in countries outside of Canada, US) -- my condolences!

5. Nov 16, 2017 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the party-like atmosphere you get everywhere. You can strike a conversation with almost anyone, asking them about any recent game. I know in some countries (almost) no one works during the games. Total quiet , except for the occasional shout of "Goal!!!" or " Oooooh...." (almost goal).

6. Nov 16, 2017 #5
    I am sad at all the great teams that did not qualify.

7. Nov 17, 2017 #6
    It's soccer popular in the USA?

8. Nov 17, 2017 #7

ISamson

Gold Member

Probably. Ask @Greg Bernhardt.

I have head (from my Italian friends!) that they did not qualify, because Italy has hired many foreign players to earn money and they lost. @Grands ?

9. Nov 17, 2017 #8
    Yes, there are a lots of foreign player in Italy, but this is because actually there aren't many good italian players, not because of money.

10. Nov 17, 2017 #9

ISamson

Gold Member

I heard it from my Italian friends!
    What happened to all those Juventus, Milan, Inter players??

11. Nov 17, 2017 #10
    Inter have a lots of foreign players, it's just the fact that there aren't many italian good players, and you can see that also in the past competitions Italy didn't play very well

12. Nov 17, 2017 #11
    I believe last year it overtook Hockey as the 4th most popular sport. Which doesn't seem impressive, but it is.

13. Nov 17, 2017 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And a big disappointment that U.S squad did not qualify.

14. Nov 17, 2017 #13
    On behalf of the Scotland team the (former) Scottish manager, and the Scottish people, I thank you. :smile:

15. Jul 10, 2018 #14
    I feel sorry for Sweden. What happened? It reminds me a bit of the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Except the Patriots at least scored. That's the first and probably the last time I get emotional about an NFL game. Too much stress and I was crushed at the end.

I'm happy that England is getting so close. It's about time. Now that France has (barely) defeated Belgium, I'm really on edge. Will it be England vs France in the final game? Talk about historic.

If it's England vs France, this would be so exciting. Good thing I don't gamble. I don't need to worry about the odds.

Tomorrow it's England vs Croatia. Super!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. Jul 12, 2018 #15

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Any Croats here (except me)? :smile:

17. Jul 12, 2018 #16
    Cheering for Croatia. Nice to see a fresh face.

18. Jul 12, 2018 #17

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Well, it's going to be France vs Croatia for the final game of the 2018 World Cup!

I'm not particularly a fan of either nation's soccer teams (i.e. football for those outside of North America), but my bet (based on how the teams have performed thus far) is that Croatia will beat France to win the World Cup.

For the 3rd place spot (between Belgium and England), my suspicion is that Belgium will beat England (like they did in the group rounds), as I personally think that Belgium has the stronger team.

We'll see if I'm right!

19. Jul 12, 2018 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  20. Jul 12, 2018 #19

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I suspect many of us here will consider ourselves "honorary Croats" on Sunday. :cool:

I see the FOX TV network is going to carry the game in the US, which is good for me because I can get it with my terrestrial antenna. I don't have cable or satellite TV, and my internet connection isn't fast enough for decent streaming.

21. Jul 12, 2018 #20

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many places selling food with Mexican/Hispanic employees will likely be showing it. That's what I have used, since I have no TV service. And I understand Spanish, so I can watch Telemundo and understand.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  22. Jul 13, 2018 #21

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Supporters distribution for the FIFA World Cup Final :biggrin:
    36971547_10160536912455287_3010846648013160448_n.jpg

23. Jul 13, 2018 #22

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It is possible that people in Quebec (a predominately French-speaking province of Canada settled by French settlers back in the 17th and 18th centuries) might cheer for France for the World Cup.

Otherwise the map is accurate! :biggrin:

24. Jul 13, 2018 #23
    Allez les bleus !

25. Jul 14, 2018 #24

julian

Gold Member

Not me! Jammy Bar Stewards! :cry:

##
    \vdots
    ##

Just kidding! Well deserved!!

p.s. vive la France! :wink:
    p.p.s. "Bar Stewards" is a way of getting away with calling people a naughty word in polite company, like in front of your Mum. :smile:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  26. Jul 14, 2018 #25

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Well, I did say "many", not "all." :oldwink:

Under most circumstances I'd probably go with France because my wife teaches French. But this is a real "Cinderella" situation here. And we do have a slight personal connection to Croatia: one of her grandfathers was born in an area that was once part of Croatia (actually Croatia-Slavonia), back when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted