2018 [+2022 update] Football World Cup: Russia

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, the Football World Cup for 2018 will be in Russia. Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1958, and many people are sad about it. England is getting close to winning the World Cup, and people are excited about it.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.

The Football World Cup for 2018 will be in Russia.
What do you think? Any opinions?
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html
I can't wait!
Thanks.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't wait to see it .

Personally, I can't wait to see the World Cup in 2018. Where it's held isn't quite as important to me.

The interesting fact this year is that Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, for the first time since 1958.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/europe/italy-world-cup.html

To any Italian PF members, or fans of Italian soccer (i.e. called football in countries outside of Canada, US) -- my condolences!

Likes ISamson
I like the party-like atmosphere you get everywhere. You can strike a conversation with almost anyone, asking them about any recent game. I know in some countries (almost) no one works during the games. Total quiet , except for the occasional shout of "Goal!" or " Oooooh..." (almost goal).

It's soccer popular in the USA?

Grands said:

Probably. Ask @Greg Bernhardt.

StatGuy2000 said:
Personally, I can't wait to see the World Cup in 2018. Where it's held isn't quite as important to me.

The interesting fact this year is that Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, for the first time since 1958.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/europe/italy-world-cup.html

To any Italian PF members, or fans of Italian soccer (i.e. called football in countries outside of Canada, US) -- my condolences!

I have head (from my Italian friends!) that they did not qualify, because Italy has hired many foreign players to earn money and they lost. @Grands ?

ISamson said:
Probably. Ask @Greg Bernhardt.
I have head that they did not qualify, because Italy has hired many foreign players to earn money and they lost. @Grands ?
Yes, there are a lots of foreign player in Italy, but this is because actually there aren't many good italian players, not because of money.

Grands said:
Yes, there are a lots of foreign player in Italy, but this is because actually there aren't many good italian players, not because of money.

I heard it from my Italian friends!
What happened to all those Juventus, Milan, Inter players??

Inter have a lots of foreign players, it's just the fact that there aren't many italian good players, and you can see that also in the past competitions Italy didn't play very well

Likes ISamson
Grands said:
I believe last year it overtook Hockey as the 4th most popular sport. Which doesn't seem impressive, but it is.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I believe last year it overtook Hockey as the 4th most popular sport. Which doesn't seem impressive, but it is.
And a big disappointment that U.S squad did not qualify.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
I am sad at all the great teams that did not qualify.
On behalf of the Scotland team the (former) Scottish manager, and the Scottish people, I thank you. :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I feel sorry for Sweden. What happened? It reminds me a bit of the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Except the Patriots at least scored. That's the first and probably the last time I get emotional about an NFL game. Too much stress and I was crushed at the end.

I'm happy that England is getting so close. It's about time. Now that France has (barely) defeated Belgium, I'm really on edge. Will it be England vs France in the final game? Talk about historic.

If it's England vs France, this would be so exciting. Good thing I don't gamble. I don't need to worry about the odds.

Tomorrow it's England vs Croatia. Super!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Craftek_Ana
Any Croats here (except me)? :smile:

Likes jtbell, Mondayman, WWGD and 2 others
Well, it's going to be France vs Croatia for the final game of the 2018 World Cup!

I'm not particularly a fan of either nation's soccer teams (i.e. football for those outside of North America), but my bet (based on how the teams have performed thus far) is that Croatia will beat France to win the World Cup.

For the 3rd place spot (between Belgium and England), my suspicion is that Belgium will beat England (like they did in the group rounds), as I personally think that Belgium has the stronger team.

We'll see if I'm right!

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Any Croats here (except me)? :smile:
I suspect many of us here will consider ourselves "honorary Croats" on Sunday. :cool:

I see the FOX TV network is going to carry the game in the US, which is good for me because I can get it with my terrestrial antenna. I don't have cable or satellite TV, and my internet connection isn't fast enough for decent streaming.

Likes Demystifier
jtbell said:
I suspect many of us here will consider ourselves "honorary Croats" on Sunday. :cool:

I see the FOX TV network is going to carry the game in the US, which is good for me because I can get it with my terrestrial antenna. I don't have cable or satellite TV, and my internet connection isn't fast enough for decent streaming.
Many places selling food with Mexican/Hispanic employees will likely be showing it. That's what I have used, since I have no TV service. And I understand Spanish, so I can watch Telemundo and understand.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Supporters distribution for the FIFA World Cup Final :biggrin:
36971547_10160536912455287_3010846648013160448_n.jpg

Attachments

• 36971547_10160536912455287_3010846648013160448_n.jpg
    36971547_10160536912455287_3010846648013160448_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 732
Likes david2, Bandersnatch and StatGuy2000
Demystifier said:
Supporters distribution for the FIFA World Cup Final :biggrin:
View attachment 228009

It is possible that people in Quebec (a predominately French-speaking province of Canada settled by French settlers back in the 17th and 18th centuries) might cheer for France for the World Cup.

Otherwise the map is accurate! :biggrin:

Likes Demystifier
Allez les bleus !

jtbell said:

Not me! Jammy Bar Stewards! :cry:
##
\vdots
##
Just kidding! Well deserved!

p.s. vive la France! :wink:
p.p.s. "Bar Stewards" is a way of getting away with calling people a naughty word in polite company, like in front of your Mum. :smile:

Last edited:
Well, I did say "many", not "all." :oldwink:

Under most circumstances I'd probably go with France because my wife teaches French. But this is a real "Cinderella" situation here. And we do have a slight personal connection to Croatia: one of her grandfathers was born in an area that was once part of Croatia (actually Croatia-Slavonia), back when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Likes Demystifier
StatGuy2000 said:
I'm not particularly a fan of either nation's soccer teams (i.e. football for those outside of North America), but my bet (based on how the teams have performed thus far) is that Croatia will beat France to win the World Cup.
We'll see if I'm right!

FRANCE 4 . CROATIE 2
La messe est dite
I like when north america people speak about football (sorry soccer)

PSRB191921 said:
FRANCE 4 . CROATIE 2
La messe est dite
I like when north america people speak about football (sorry soccer)

Well, I've been wrong before about football/soccer!

So who do you think will win the World Cup in 2022? Croatia like in 2018? :wink:

PSRB191921 said:
So who do you think will win the World Cup in 2022? Croatia like in 2018? :wink:
Apparently not much enthusiasm for the cup in 2022.

WWGD said:
I tried with a couple of comments, no one seemed interested. Final on Sunday, France looking very good.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Just watching Morocco and Croatia national anthems. With all the kid mascots smiling from ear to ear. Beautiful.
France have a flu issue so that could really mess the side up.

I am European so I am rooting for Croatia BUT if the little guy through? All good. @WWGD

pinball1970 said:
Just watching Morocco and Croatia national anthems. With all the kid mascots smiling from ear to ear. Beautiful.
France have a flu issue so that could really mess the side up.

I am European so I am rooting for Croatia BUT if the little guy through? All good. @WWGD
Although Croatia is/are not quite a top dog. I hate to say it, but Morocco's luck ran out.

Likes pinball1970
Alarm set for tomorrow morning (PST). Two great teams with at least two superstar players. Should be fun to watch. :smile:

WWGD said:
Although Croatia is/are not quite a top dog. I hate to say it, but Morocco's luck ran out.
Well I totally messed that up! I was watching for third place! I have been catching games here and there but missed the fact both teams are already out.
France and Argentina in an hour in the final.
I am begrudgingly supporting France because they have some great players and are European.

berkeman said:
Alarm set for tomorrow morning (PST). Two great teams with at least two superstar players. Should be fun to watch. :smile:
Wow!! Hope you watching, amazing! ten mins left plus time added on

<h2>1. What were the dates of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?</h2><p>The 2018 Football World Cup in Russia took place from June 14 to July 15.</p><h2>2. Which teams participated in the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?</h2><p>A total of 32 teams participated in the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia, including the host nation Russia and 31 other qualified teams from around the world.</p><h2>3. Who won the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?</h2><p>France won the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia, defeating Croatia 4-2 in the final match.</p><h2>4. What was the official mascot of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?</h2><p>The official mascot of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia was a wolf named Zabivaka, which means "the one who scores" in Russian.</p><h2>5. Where will the 2022 Football World Cup take place?</h2><p>The 2022 Football World Cup will take place in Qatar, making it the first time the tournament will be held in the Middle East.</p>

1. What were the dates of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?

The 2018 Football World Cup in Russia took place from June 14 to July 15.

2. Which teams participated in the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?

A total of 32 teams participated in the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia, including the host nation Russia and 31 other qualified teams from around the world.

3. Who won the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?

France won the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia, defeating Croatia 4-2 in the final match.

4. What was the official mascot of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia?

The official mascot of the 2018 Football World Cup in Russia was a wolf named Zabivaka, which means "the one who scores" in Russian.

5. Where will the 2022 Football World Cup take place?

The 2022 Football World Cup will take place in Qatar, making it the first time the tournament will be held in the Middle East.