2018 PF Member Awards Are Coming

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, voting for the 2018 award ceremony opens on December 15th and members have two weeks to make their best impression to capture a nomination. Some members have suggested new categories, such as "grumpiest" and "best self-nomination attempt", while others have joked about their own nominations. The voting process can be difficult as there are many outstanding members in each category. The ceremony will take place tomorrow, but it is not a live event so members do not have to worry about missing it.
Voting opens Dec 15th! You have two weeks to make your best impression to capture that nomination!

Likes QuantumQuest, davenn, dlgoff and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Voting opens Dec 15th! You have two weeks to make your best impression to capture that nomination!
I make my yearly suggestion that there be a category of grumpiest and I nominate myself. :smile:

Likes Evo, davenn, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
phinds said:
I make my yearly suggestion that there be a category of grumpiest and I nominate myself. :smile:
I second the nomination...

and if that doesn't pass, I would nominate myself for it.

Likes Evo, phinds and Greg Bernhardt
Maybe we add a category “best self-nomination attempt”.

Likes DennisN, Wrichik Basu and Ibix
phinds said:

The greed! You know there's always a "Most In Need of a Shave and a Haircut" category that you always win! Look at that coat! It's like you have three sheep strapped to you!

Likes Wrichik Basu and DennisN
Drakkith said:
The greed! You know there's always a "Most In Need of a Shave and a Haircut" category that you always win! Look at that coat! It's like you have three sheep strapped to you!
HEY ! That's a "look" for your information. The girls love it. I get a lot of attention. :smile:

phinds said:
HEY ! That's a "look" for your information. The girls love it. I get a lot of attention. :smile:

The ladies love a good puppo!

mfb said:
@phinds would win that category too.

dlgoff said:
@phinds would win that category too.
Hands down

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
Today is December 8, so voting starts in one week. It's always a fun time. I'm looking forward to it. :smile:

Likes Evo
We once had a category of "most improved member", but I thought that didn't sound good, so it was nixed before being implemented.

I need some FUNNY GD members! Ok, be funny or be BANNED! :mad:

Evo said:
Some of us will probably never be in the running for the "Best Humor" award.:wink:

Likes Drakkith
Evo said:
PC and "FUNNY GD" just DO NOT mix. :oldcry::oldcry::oldcry:

Greg Bernhardt said:

It would be a toss up between two esteemed members for the "Les Miserables" award, IMHO. You know who you are!

GOOD GRIEF ! This is impossible. There are SO many outstanding members in every category, it's frustrating to have to vote for just one in each.

Likes Charles Link
phinds said:
GOOD GRIEF ! This is impossible. There are SO many outstanding members in every category, it's frustrating to have to vote for just one in each.
You can vote for 3 :smile:

Likes berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
You can vote for 3 :smile:
Oh yeah. Thanks for the reminder.

Vote for me three times in every category!

<Never vote because I can't decide between good and great>

Likes Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:

Hmmm. I see "Phinds", but I don't see "AlsoPhinds" and "ProbablyPhinds" in any of the lists...

mfb said:
Damn! I forgot to nominate myself for the newcomer award this year ...

Evo said:
We once had a category of "most improved member", but I thought that didn't sound good, so it was nixed before being implemented.

I'm in with a shout on that, I have been funny and banned on the same thread.

Likes Evo and berkeman
The 2018 award ceremony is tomorrow!

Likes berkeman, Drakkith, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
The 2018 award ceremony is tomorrow!
At what time is it beginning? Generally when majority of members here are logged in, I am soundly sleeping. Don't want to miss the ceremony...

Wrichik Basu said:
At what time is it beginning? Generally when majority of members here are logged in, I am soundly sleeping. Don't want to miss the ceremony...

It's not a live event. You won't miss anything by catching some Zzz's.

Likes Wrichik Basu

What are the 2018 PF Member Awards?

The 2018 PF Member Awards are a way for the Physics Forums community to recognize and celebrate the contributions of its members over the past year.

Who is eligible for the awards?

All registered members of Physics Forums who have been active on the site during 2018 are eligible for the awards.

How are the winners selected?

The winners are chosen through a nomination and voting process. Members can nominate their peers for different categories, and then the community votes on the finalists to determine the winners.

What are the different award categories?

There are several award categories, including Best Overall Contributor, Best Problem Solver, Best Explainer, and many more. The full list of categories and their descriptions can be found on the PF Member Awards page.

When will the winners be announced?

The winners will be announced in early January of the following year. Stay tuned to the Physics Forums website and social media pages for updates and announcements.