20P5 categorized by pattern

• MHB
  • Thread starter adamtj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the organization of a total population of objects into groups based on the number of objects in each group. The total population of objects is 20 and there are 5 slots to fill, resulting in a total population of sets of 3.2 million. The groups are categorized by the number of each type of object, such as 5 of a kind or 3 of a kind with 2 singles. Using nPr, the speaker came up with the following category counts for each group. However, the counts do not add up to the total population and the speaker realizes that some outcomes are being counted more than once. They determine that the correct multipliers for each group are 1, 5,
adamtj
Hello, I am hoping this is in the right sub group please do let me know if I chose incorrectly.

So I have part of this solved ( I think)

The basics:
Total population of objects :20
slots to fill: 5
total population of sets: 3.2MM (20^5)My goal is to organize this total population into groups.
aaaaa - 5 of a kind
aaaab - 4 of a kind, 1 single
aaabb - 3 of a kind, 1 pair
aaabc - 3 of a kind, 2 singles
aabbc - 2 pairs, 1 single
aabcd - 1 pair, 3 singles
abcde - all singles

so using nPr I came up with the following:

category-count
aaaaa-20
aaaab-380
aaabc -6,840
aaabb-380
aabbc -6,840
aabcd -116,280
abcde -1,860,480

This is incomplete as it sums to 1,991,220.
the next step as I was seeing it was that there are variations of each category:
Example: aaaab,aaaba,aabaa and so on.
the plan was to calculate the permutations for each and then multiplying that by the initial calculations. but this yields much too large a population. so now I am stuck.

Here is the google sheets document I have been working with:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yrWacgebsqIsOwsofIR_sNjHG5FdlLs3VOJE7s4DRDA/edit?usp=sharing

Any hints and help are greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
adamtj said:
Hello, I am hoping this is in the right sub group please do let me know if I chose incorrectly.

So I have part of this solved ( I think)

The basics:
Total population of objects :20
slots to fill: 5
total population of sets: 3.2MM (20^5)My goal is to organize this total population into groups.
aaaaa - 5 of a kind
aaaab - 4 of a kind, 1 single
aaabb - 3 of a kind, 1 pair
aaabc - 3 of a kind, 2 singles
aabbc - 2 pairs, 1 single
aabcd - 1 pair, 3 singles
abcde - all singles

so using nPr I came up with the following:

category-count
aaaaa-20
aaaab-380
aaabc -6,840
aaabb-380
aabbc -6,840
aabcd -116,280
abcde -1,860,480

This is incomplete as it sums to 1,991,220.
the next step as I was seeing it was that there are variations of each category:
Example: aaaab,aaaba,aabaa and so on.
the plan was to calculate the permutations for each and then multiplying that by the initial calculations. but this yields much too large a population. so now I am stuck.

Here is the google sheets document I have been working with:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yrWacgebsqIsOwsofIR_sNjHG5FdlLs3VOJE7s4DRDA/edit?usp=sharing

Any hints and help are greatly appreciated!
Hi adamtj and welcome to MHB!

Your solution is on the right lines, but you are counting some of the outcomes more than once.

I agree with all the "category-counts" that you have for the groups. But most of the multiplication factors (in column H of the spreadsheet) are too big. The last one in particular (for the group abcde) should be 1, not 120, because you have already counted the choices a, b, c, d, e, in that order, when coming up with the total 1,860,480 for that group.

I agree with your multipliers 1 and 5 for the first two groups. For the third group (aaabc), you have already taken into account which types are to be used, namely a for the one that occurs three times, and b and c (in that order) for the two types that appear once each. The only further thing to be specified is which of the five positions are occupied by the three a's. That gives ${5\choose3} = 10$ as your multiplying factor.

For the groups aaabb and aabcd the multiplier is again 10, for the same sort of reason.

That leaves the hard case aabbc. Here, there are five places where the c could come. For each of those there are three possible orderings of the a's and b's (with an a coming first), namely aabb, abab, abba. So the multiplier here is 15.

So your multipliers in column H should be 1, 5, 10, 10, 15, 10, 1. If you use those values you should find that the sum of the entries in column I is $3,200,000 = 20^5$, as it should be.

Opalg said:

Your solution is on the right lines, but you are counting some of the outcomes more than once.

I agree with all the "category-counts" that you have for the groups. But most of the multiplication factors (in column H of the spreadsheet) are too big. The last one in particular (for the group abcde) should be 1, not 120, because you have already counted the choices a, b, c, d, e, in that order, when coming up with the total 1,860,480 for that group.

I agree with your multipliers 1 and 5 for the first two groups. For the third group (aaabc), you have already taken into account which types are to be used, namely a for the one that occurs three times, and b and c (in that order) for the two types that appear once each. The only further thing to be specified is which of the five positions are occupied by the three a's. That gives ${5\choose3} = 10$ as your multiplying factor.

For the groups aaabb and aabcd the multiplier is again 10, for the same sort of reason.

That leaves the hard case aabbc. Here, there are five places where the c could come. For each of those there are three possible orderings of the a's and b's (with an a coming first), namely aabb, abab, abba. So the multiplier here is 15.

So your multipliers in column H should be 1, 5, 10, 10, 15, 10, 1. If you use those values you should find that the sum of the entries in column I is $3,200,000 = 20^5$, as it should be.

Hello Opalg

You are not going to believe me but I literally just figured the same thing as you posted and was coming back to share my findings!

As you stated, i knew 120 was not possible and knew it should be 1, but didn't have a good explanation as to why until I realized it was because abcde already accounts for all variations. so from that I hypothesized that any single objects could be grouped into an "x" object. so abcde became xxxxx and aabcd =aaxxx and so forth from that I was able to get the same numbers you did! :-)

again thank you very much for your help!

Opalg said:

in the case of aabbc, is there a function for this? I ask because 5r is just the start, I would like to do something similar for 6r too.

What is 20P5 categorized by pattern?

20P5 categorized by pattern refers to a mathematical concept known as the permutation formula, where 20 represents the total number of objects and 5 represents the number of objects being arranged. This formula is used to calculate the number of possible arrangements or combinations of objects based on a specific pattern.

How do I calculate 20P5 categorized by pattern?

To calculate 20P5 categorized by pattern, you can use the permutation formula which is nPr = n! / (n - r)! where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being arranged. In this case, it would be 20P5 = 20! / (20 - 5)! = 20! / 15! = 20 x 19 x 18 x 17 x 16 = 3,840,000.

What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both mathematical formulas used to calculate the number of possible arrangements or combinations of objects. The main difference is that combinations do not take into account the order of the objects, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are used when order does not matter, while permutations are used when order does matter.

How is 20P5 categorized by pattern used in real-life situations?

20P5 categorized by pattern can be used in various real-life situations, such as in gambling, probability, and statistics. For example, it can be used to calculate the odds of winning a lottery or the number of possible outcomes in a game of cards.

Are there any limitations to using 20P5 categorized by pattern?

One limitation of using 20P5 categorized by pattern is that it assumes all objects are distinct and can be arranged in a specific order. In real-life situations, there may be cases where objects cannot be arranged in a specific order or may not be distinct, making this formula inaccurate. Additionally, the formula may become more complex and time-consuming to use with larger numbers.