How Are We Celebrating Our 20th Wedding Anniversary?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: She doesn't want to have to pretend to speak English with me anymore.In summary, Jim's wife is tired of pretending to speak English with him and is planning to divorce him soon.
Jimmy Snyder
Gays in Maine have nothing on my wife and me. Come tomorrow, we'll have been diminishing the sanctity of marriage for 20 years. We'll celebrate tonight though, just in case we get divorced tomorrow. I still remember the day we took out that license to fight. Just my luck, heterosexual couples were allowed to marry back then. We were married in Taipei city hall and then again at her eldest brother's house. I think that means we need to divorce twice, once won't take. The traditional thing to give for the 20th is China, and she's very traditional. And look how much China has given to me. The modern thing is platinum and emerald. I'll get her that too, she's very modern. I'll take her to a jewelry store and let her pick something out. She likes that and usually picks nothing. I get to look like the good guy and yet don't have to pay. Wish me luck.

We'll be going to a steakhouse. Whereever we eat, it's always on the Chinese plan, meaning we each order something different and then share. So I'll order steak, and she'll order steak. But they'll be different kinds of steaks. I'll bring chopsticks just in case Penqwuino shows up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations. I hope you both enjoy the well deserved observation of a long journey together.

LowlyPion said:
Congratulations. I hope you both enjoy the well deserved observation of a long journey together.
Thanks. It doesn't seem a day over 20 years.

A big congrats, Jimmy!

jimmysnyder said:
Thanks. It doesn't seem a day over 20 years.

I'm sure that's a great source of comfort to your wife.

The jewelry store idea is looking like a really good option if you express it like that.

Congrats on two decades of wedded bliss?

Congrats on the 20th, jimmy!

And congrats to Artman, who is celebrating the 27th anniversary today!

Congratulation to you, Jimmy!

And to your wife!

My wife and I hit 20 years last year, and now everyone is doing it.

We used to wonder how we'd ever make it this long, but now we see that it's obvious: the way we look today, there's no way anyone else would have anything to do with us.

Best of luck to you both! I'll let you know when we get divorced so that you can continue to imitate us.

belliott4488 said:
the way we look today, there's no way anyone else would have anything to do with us.
There was a sign in a department store saying "Please pardon our appearance". I wanted to pose together with my wife next to that sign for a foto, but she wouldn't have it. I suppose it hit too close to home for her.

Congrats, jimmy, and my condolences to your long-suffering wife.

turbo-1 said:
Congrats, jimmy, and my condolences to your long-suffering wife.

AMEN! can you believe this poor lady put up with these sort of comments for the last 20 years?

And the next twenty years gets better.She told me to say that.

tribdog said:
AMEN! can you believe this poor lady put up with these sort of comments for the last 20 years?
She's not the miller's daughter, but she's been through the mill. Don't pity her though, she gives as good as she gets.

Congratulations, Jimmy! Here's to 20 more!

tribdog said:

Maybe she never learned English?

jk .. Congrats, Jimmy.

Math Is Hard said:
Maybe she never learned English?
We met in Tokyo at a Japanese language school. I was taking a beginner course and she an intermediate. My teacher was a bump on a log and I wasn't learning anything, so I decided to quit the school and find another at the end of the month. One day the teacher called in sick and the office told us that there was no other beginner course so we should all go home. However there was an intermediate course and if we wanted, we could sit in on it. I did and found that with effort I could keep up. That's how I met my wife. We dated/hung out together speaking the most horrendous Japanese to each other. I not only liked being with her, but I appreciated the chance to learn Japanese with someone who couldn't speak English. Or so I thought. I found work in Japan and left the school. She left the school and went back to Taiwan. I went to visit her there and proposed to her. At that point I found out that she speaks English quite well and in fact had been an English major at University.

That's quite a story, JimmyS! So does that mean that the entire time you were together in Japan (before she returned to Taiwan), you communicated only in Japanese, even though she secretly knew English?

I'm guessing that's the reason for the impending divorce - she's tired of pretending not to speak English for all these decades.

Congrats to you and the wife, I hope you have many more years together.

1. What is the traditional gift for a 20th wedding anniversary?

The traditional gift for a 20th wedding anniversary is china. This symbolizes the durability and elegance of a long-lasting marriage.

2. What is the modern gift for a 20th wedding anniversary?

The modern gift for a 20th wedding anniversary is platinum. This precious metal represents strength and endurance, just like a marriage that has lasted for 20 years.

3. What is the significance of the 20th wedding anniversary?

The 20th wedding anniversary is an important milestone that celebrates two decades of love, commitment, and partnership between a married couple. It is a time to reflect on the journey you have taken together and look forward to the future.

4. Are there any traditional or modern flowers associated with the 20th wedding anniversary?

The traditional flower associated with a 20th wedding anniversary is the daylily, which symbolizes cohesiveness and devotion. The modern flower is the aster, representing love, patience, and wisdom.

5. What are some unique ways to celebrate a 20th wedding anniversary?

Some unique ways to celebrate a 20th wedding anniversary include taking a trip to a place that holds special meaning for the couple, renewing wedding vows, or planning a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant. Another idea is to recreate a special moment from the wedding day, such as dancing to the same song or cutting a cake together.