21 cm emission in a laboratory

In summary, the 21 cm emission line of atomic hydrogen is a rare but detectable process in our galaxy. It is not possible to reproduce this emission in a laboratory, except for the use of hydrogen masers which use beams of hydrogen atoms. However, there are limited references and information available on this topic.
amarante
Hey,

I kind of understand the process of the 21 cm emission of the atomic Hydrogen, I know how rare it should be but still it is detectable in our Galaxy due to the huge amount of atomic hydrogen it has.

However, I was wondering if it is possible to detect the 21 cm emission line in a laboratory. I couldn't find anything related to that. The only information I could find it the astronomical sources detection.

Actually, in one website they mentioned that this emission could be now reproduce in the laboratories due to the "development of atomic beam techniques." But there was no references...

Does anyone have any idea or references that could help me?

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you!
I didn't find about the hydrogen masers before.

What is 21 cm emission in a laboratory?

21 cm emission in a laboratory refers to the radiation emitted at a wavelength of 21 centimeters by neutral hydrogen atoms. This emission is commonly observed in laboratory settings and is used for various scientific studies.

How is 21 cm emission generated in a laboratory?

In the laboratory, 21 cm emission is generated by exciting neutral hydrogen atoms through collisions with other particles or by applying an external electromagnetic field. This causes the hydrogen atoms to emit radiation at a frequency of 1420 MHz, which corresponds to a wavelength of 21 cm.

What are the applications of 21 cm emission in a laboratory?

21 cm emission in a laboratory has various applications in scientific research. It can be used to study the properties and behavior of neutral hydrogen atoms, as well as the structure and dynamics of interstellar gas clouds. It is also used in cosmological studies to investigate the early universe and the formation of galaxies.

How is 21 cm emission detected in a laboratory?

In a laboratory setting, 21 cm emission is detected using specialized equipment such as radio telescopes or spectrometers. These instruments are designed to detect and measure the faint radiation emitted by neutral hydrogen atoms at a wavelength of 21 cm.

What are the advantages of studying 21 cm emission in a laboratory?

Studying 21 cm emission in a laboratory allows for controlled experiments and precise measurements, which can provide valuable insights into the physical properties of hydrogen atoms and their interactions with other particles. It also allows for the study of 21 cm emission in different environments and conditions, which can help to better understand its role in various astrophysical phenomena.