Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

24v to 12v Interior Led Light

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    I have a ceiling fan that has a 24v output. It came with a led circuit board to light, however the light is very dim. I purchased a 12v led circuit board to increase the lighting. Now I know that the light is 24v and the new led board is 12v but it was a direct plug in so I thought I would try it out. When I plugged it in, the led lights up, however it strobes. It does not do this when hooked up to a 12v source, it remains lit constantly. Is there anything I could do to stop the strobe and keep it constantly lit? or is there a simple solution to get the voltage down to 12v without taking up alot of space. Keep in mind that there is a glass cover that needs to go over the light, so I can’t take up too much space. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi
    I think we need to know more about the problem before you can get a useful answer.
    What do these two circuit boards have on them? It strikes me that the 12V board is for operating with a DC supply but the 24V board can use AC. Are there additional components on the 24V board?
    Are the LEDs for indication or illumination?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

How many times/sec does it strobe? Approximately will do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook