Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

25 hours and counting!

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Still awake, and not even drowsy at the moment! Maybe it's the cumulative lethal dose of caffeine, or the painful frostbite on my ear (-8C outside, very windy), or the pleasant warm glow of the gray PF background - I'm still going after 90,000+ seconds of wakefulness! (okay, excluding the brief nap in Quantum Mechanics class...)

Plans for tonight? Dunno, finished all my homework sets last night + this morning + during lunch at cafe, so nothing left to do. Going to Australia tomorrow, need to adjust for time zone (but keeping in mind tomorrow's 10AM E&M). Hmm. Maybe I'll go out for a walk in the blizzard? Practice the Kreutzer sonata? Sit in discretely on a philosophy seminar? Write a blog entry? Solve the Riemann hypothesis? Eat breakfast? Make more coffeeee?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    (Incidentally, that explains the weird koala avatar this week.)

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

There are easier ways to adjust yourself for such trips. I remember seeing these cool glasses where it shines a light into your eye to mess around with your internal clock.

I second the walk in the blizzard.

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    Take the walk.

I'm exhausted. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

6. Jan 25, 2007 #5
    The snow's temporarily let down, it was really awesome earlier during Quantum Mechanics. I went outside and ran around when I realized there was no way I could stay awake while inside the stuffy classroom. Droning repetitous monotony exacerbates the ennui of the dry stuffy lecturer.

yeah, you expand in powers of lambda, but you're really expanding in powers of V, the lambda is just a bookkeeping... ...again, we're really expanding in powers of V not lambda it's just that it's often simpler to keep track of the... ...so going back to the notation, V, or sometimes H_{int} in other books, but our book uses V, so we'll... ...you get terms with each power of lambda, by which we really mean V... ...and our expansion in terms of the interaction Hamiltonian, the V (or the lambda, if you prefer, it's really the same thing), which brings me to an interesting aside, in quantum fields, it's all the same thing, it's all perturbative... so QCD expands blah in powers of blah blah, which is just like what we're doing here, with lambda, I mean V, or H_{int} if you're in a textbook whose author is notationally so inclined... power series, like a power series in lambda, but actually in the operator V (or H_{int}), we get a power series, expanding on with our terms of various orders... yak yak yak...

7. Jan 25, 2007 #6
    reminds me of my days in middle school. i would try to stay up all night. I was able to do it but in the morning i felt so run down. everywhere i would go i felt like i was about to fall asleep.....:zzz:. after i did that a couple of times i figured out it wasn't the brightest thimg to do:biggrin: .

8. Jan 25, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll adjust to Australia's time zone when you get there. Don't try to stay up now. Sleep on the flight, and when you get to Australia, don't let yourself nap during the first day even if you really want to by then...get through until the night, and then sleep. If you need a little help at that point, a 10 mg tablet of melatonin can sometimes help (take it an hour before you want to get to sleep). Even so, it can take several days to adjust to that much of a time shift (and several days when you return as well). But, it's usually easier on younger people than older people, so one sleepless night/day might be all it takes to get yourself tired enough to sleep on a normal schedule. If you do wake up in the middle of the night while there, stay in the dark (that means no turning on the computer to check on PF either). That will more quickly adjust your body to realizing night really is night.

Have fun in Australia! My "boss" is there on sabbatical right now too, and I keep trying to find reasons why I need to join him there for the nice summer weather. :biggrin:

9. Jan 25, 2007 #8
    Do you know who you're lecturing about sleep patterns? I've just been awake for 29.5 hours. I'm immune to sleep deprivation! Bwahahahahahahaha!

10. Jan 25, 2007 #9
    Gah. 30 hours awake, 50mg doxylamine succinate (almost 30min ago), and still not even a hint of drowsiness. *grumble*

11. Jan 25, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, to be young again. Want to join my lab? I have a student who is trying to plan a 55 hour experiment. :rolleyes: I've suggested we start with the 6 hour experiment so he knows how to do everything without me for the longer experiment. :biggrin:

12. Jan 25, 2007 #11
    Gasp! Quit physics and join the icky world of research biology? Give up the fascinating landscape of Jackson's Electrodynamics problems, for some algebra-free dissection of mouse brains?

when can I start?

13. Jan 25, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Not mouse brains...sheep brains! :biggrin: They're a little more challenging.

14. Jan 25, 2007 #13
    Maybe it's the sleeping pills talking, but I really would much rather be an experimental biologist right about now...

idle wondering, is there a theoretical/experimental distinction in biology?

15. Jan 25, 2007 #14
    Sheeps, mouses, meese, same difference - they're all rodents.

16. Jan 25, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, theory is useless without experiments in biology. :biggrin:

17. Jan 25, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me know when you're counting the mice jumping the fence. :rofl: Totally unaffected by sleep deprivation, huh?

18. Jan 25, 2007 #17
    Yup. Clear, focused mind unaffected by sleep deprivation or otc sleeping pills. I can see clearly, physics is all stupid and wrong and a waste of chalk. Dissecting stuff is where it's at, yeah. Also, I'm going to run for senate, because I have incredible powers of diplomacy and oratory. I'll be the first rodent biologist in Congress! 'bout time too, somebody's gotta round up them ratty senators.

19. Jan 25, 2007 #18
    Right nice summer weather? What planet do you live on? seriously it's like a a billion degrees everyday and severely humid. I live in Air-conditioning.

20. Jan 25, 2007 #19

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

happy Australia Day!:smile:

21. Jan 25, 2007 #20

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Gaah! Now you've reminded me of a punch line from Saturday morning TV cartoons when I was a kid:

"I hate those meeses to pieces!"

and I won't be able to get it out of my mind for at least a week :yuck:

(or is that "meeces"?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?