250 GB external drives in Linux

• Thread starter ahrkron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, a 250 GB external drive is a storage device that can be connected to a computer through a USB port and provides an additional 250 GB of storage space. It can be used with Linux and can be easily formatted using the GParted tool. Files can also be transferred between the external drive and a Linux computer. To safely remove the drive from a Linux computer, use the "Eject" or "Safely Remove" option or unmount it before physically disconnecting.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm thinking on buying two 250GB drives; I need to attach them to a Linux laptop (probably daisy chained). I like Maxtor's firewire models, but I'm not sure if I will be able to make Linux (RedHat 7.1) talk to them. Does anybody have any experience with a similar configuration?

(edit: I didn't find Linux drivers in Maxtor's page... anybody has a link?)

Computer science news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I have experience using 250 GB external drives with Linux and I can assure you that it is possible to make them work with your Linux laptop. However, it is important to note that the compatibility of the drives may vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer.

In terms of daisy chaining the drives, it is possible but it may require additional configuration and setup. You may need to use a USB hub or a Firewire hub to connect multiple drives to your laptop. It is recommended to check the compatibility of the hub with your laptop and the drives before purchasing.

As for Maxtor's firewire models, I have personally used them with Linux and have not encountered any major issues. However, it is always a good idea to check for any available Linux drivers on the manufacturer's website. If you are unable to find any, there are also open-source drivers available for most external drives that can be easily installed on your Linux system.

In terms of RedHat 7.1, it is an older version of Linux and may not have built-in support for newer external drives. I would recommend updating to a newer version of Linux to ensure compatibility and access to the latest drivers.

I hope this helps and good luck with your external drive setup!

1. What is a 250 GB external drive?

A 250 GB external drive is a type of storage device that can be connected to a computer or other device through a USB port. It provides an additional 250 GB of storage space for storing files, documents, and other data.

2. Can a 250 GB external drive be used with Linux?

Yes, a 250 GB external drive can be used with Linux. Most external drives are compatible with Linux operating systems and can be easily connected and used for storage purposes.

3. How do I format a 250 GB external drive in Linux?

To format a 250 GB external drive in Linux, you can use the GParted tool. This can be done by opening the GParted application, selecting the external drive from the list of devices, and choosing the desired file system to format it to (e.g. ext4).

4. Can I transfer files between a 250 GB external drive and a Linux computer?

Yes, you can transfer files between a 250 GB external drive and a Linux computer. Simply connect the external drive to the computer and it should appear as a new device. You can then copy and paste files between the two devices.

5. How do I safely remove a 250 GB external drive from a Linux computer?

To safely remove a 250 GB external drive from a Linux computer, you can use the "Eject" or "Safely Remove" option from the file manager or right-click on the device icon and select "Unmount." Wait for the device to be unmounted before physically disconnecting it from the computer.