1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

26th Derivative of a Function

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that f(x) = sin(x) for x =/= 0 and f(x) = 1^x for x=0, find the 26th derivative of f at 0. Hint: can you find a power series for f(x)?

The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to solve this problem. Since 1^x is always 1, the first derivative at 0 is 0, so ALL derivatives must be 0, right? I'm confused as to how a power series even comes into play in this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

That's a very strange defintion. Note that f(0) is just a number, so all they had to say was f(x)=1 for x=0, the 1^x bit is superfluous. But moreover, the function is not continuous at x=0, so doesn't have any derivatives, let alone 26. Which leads me to ask, are you sure you copied the question correctly?

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3
    I just noticed that somebody erased a line in my book! It should have been sin(x)/x for x=/=0 and 1 for x=0. That makes a lot more sense.

5. Dec 16, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I advise you to use the hint given!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?