Revisiting Algebra Basics: 4ax + 2ay = 2a(2x + y)

In summary: Let's review the basics; when you have a equation with two terms, like in the example above, the first term is on the left hand side and the second term is on the right hand side. In this case, the first term is 4ax and the second term is 2ay. Since 4ax is greater than 2ay, the 2a on the left hand side of the equation is moved to the right hand side and becomes negative.
Auto Engineer
Hi All, this is not homework, just some basic revision for my own personal understanding, it's a long time since I went to school?

I would like to refresh my mind on the following algebra please.

4ax + 2ay = 2a x 2x + 2a x y
= 2a(2x + y)

Sorry for not using the DOT product as it does not seem to be available, so had to use X for multiplication?

My misunderstanding of the above is, what happened to the 2a on the right hand side of the first line above?

I understand that 4ax is made up of 2a x 2x = 4ax, and I understand that 2a(2x is made up of the 4ax, but i can't get my head round where the 2a went on the right hand side?:confused:

any help greatly appreciated

David:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Let's review

4ax+2ay this is your starting equation

2a*2x + 2a*y this is the same equation, only we've split 4ax into 2a*2x and 2ay into 2a*y

2a*(2x+y) you've factored 2a out of the equation. Recall distribution: b*(c+d) = b*c + b*d always. This works backwards just as well...b*c+b*d = b*(c+d) which is what's been done here with b=2a, c=2x, d=y

So what's the sticky point?

Office_Shredder said:
Let's review

4ax+2ay this is your starting equation

2a*2x + 2a*y this is the same equation, only we've split 4ax into 2a*2x and 2ay into 2a*y

2a*(2x+y) you've factored 2a out of the equation. Recall distribution: b*(c+d) = b*c + b*d always. This works backwards just as well...b*c+b*d = b*(c+d) which is what's been done here with b=2a, c=2x, d=y

So what's the sticky point?

Hi Office_Shredder. Please stick with the original equation as the "learner" that's "me" is trying to achieve the understanding of the idea of "Factorisation" from first principles, therefore if you expand with more ideas before I gain the basics, I will be lost:confused:

Let's start with my original equation;

4ax + 2ay = 2a * 2x + 2a * y (the astrict in my example means multiplication)
=2a(2x + y) (if I now multiply this out I get)
= 4ax +2ay
Here is my problem:confused:

2a * 2x = 4ax:smile: 2a * y = 2ay, but where did the "other" 2a appear from?

am I right in thinking that the 2a on the left hand side of the equation has been moved to the right hand side, and the y placed inside the bracket?
When I multiply them out the original equation can be found, which seems right, but my understanding is that "if a number on the left hand side of the equals is positive, then moving it to the right hand side should make it negative"?

So; 4ax = 2a * 2x and 2ay = - 2a * y or is there different rules for different types of maths?

David:confused:

1. What are the basics of algebra?

The basics of algebra include understanding variables, constants, and basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also involves solving equations and simplifying expressions.

2. How do you solve equations with variables on both sides?

To solve equations with variables on both sides, first simplify each side by combining like terms. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the distributive property in algebra?

The distributive property states that when multiplying a number by a sum or difference in parentheses, you can distribute the number to each term inside the parentheses. In the equation 4ax + 2ay, the 2a is being distributed to both 2x and y.

4. How do you combine like terms in algebra?

To combine like terms in algebra, you must have the same variables raised to the same powers. Then, simply add or subtract the coefficients in front of the variables to simplify the expression.

5. What is the purpose of revisiting algebra basics?

Revisiting algebra basics can help strengthen understanding and skills in more advanced algebraic concepts. It can also serve as a refresher for those who have not used algebra in a while, or as a foundation for learning more complex math topics.